Friday, January 07, 2011

Why Cats Are Better Than Dogs

You know, I'm really not a pet person. I never pictured myself with a pet, but if you gotta have one, a cat is the way to go. Dogs look like a lot of work!

There is a dog in my neighborhood that is absolutely gorgeous. I see him walking with his human now and again and I am terrified and amazed by this dog, both at the same time. He's HUGE. In my mind, his name is Rufus! Don't ask me why, but that name just jumped in my head the first time I saw him.

Anyway, Rufus has a huge square head and a big barrel chest. He's mostly white with a couple of spots of color. I have no idea what breed Rufus is, but this dog is all muscle. There is not one ounce of fat on him. Granted, when I see him and his human coming down the street, I head for my door since the dog scares the crap out of me, but I love to look at him from the safety of my home. I think he's the most beautiful dog I've ever seen.

Now to why cats are better than dogs.

I walked outside this morning with a bowl of food for the outside cat when I saw Rufus and his human across the street. In the cold and the snow by the way, while Benny was happy and content in the warmth of the house. Anyway, there I am standing on my porch when I see Rufus and his human just stopped. I look a little up the street and I see two little girls carrying a blanket, trying to run down a six month old (I'm guessing) puppy! The puppy was free and it looked like they were having a heck of a time catching him.

Rufus was told to sit, and the human was trying to give the girls a chance to catch their puppy while he kept his dog away from the fracas. Of course, the puppy was making a beeline for Rufus and it really didn't look like Rufus was impressed. The girls were panicking, worried that Rufus was going to eat their dog! The human assured them that Rufus was NOT going to eat their dog but to be honest, I was with the girls. The puppy looked like the right size snack for Rufus!

Keep in mind, I was watching this all from the safety of my front porch with one hand on my door ready to run back in! Rufus' human did a great job staying calm and keeping Rufus calm while the girls tried to throw the blanket over the poor puppy. Eventually, the puppy turned and high tailed it down the street, having fun at the game of watching his young humans try to catch him.

So that was my entertainment at 7:30 this morning. That's a lot of drama having dogs. I think I'll stick with my kitten who right now is sleeping at my feet. I do hope the girls were able to catch up with their little puppy and get him home safe and sound.

No comments: