Saturday, January 08, 2011

It Wasn't Mom's Chicken Soup

But that's ok, dinner was great anyway!

When I cook chicken, 99% of the time I cook chicken breasts. But, when I want chicken soup, 100% of the time I buy the dark meat. Nothing makes soup as good as the dark meat, at least in my opinion.

I have had a hankering for some of my Mom's chicken soup, but with a twist. I guess really, the only way I know how to make chicken soup is the way my Mom made it. Lucky for me, I like it that way! But, in my mind, I was visualizing Mom's soup, with a twist. I was seeing a lot of veggies in there and I even got out the barley. I wasn't sure what it was going to end up like, but it was going to be chicken soup. The last time I was at Giant Eagle, I even bought a big package of chicken quarters, just for soup.

I defrosted the chicken yesterday, knowing today was going to be soup day. I told the guys it was soup day. Well, stuff happens and I had to turn to plan "B". Y'all know how I love a good plan "B"!

Actually, I was just too dang lazy to futz with soup today. I looked at the chicken, I looked at my soup pot, back to the chicken and then said the heck with it and got out the crock pot.

I didn't do soup, but I did put those chicken quarters along with a lot of onions, some salt, pepper and a little chicken bouillon and cooked it for four hours. For side dishes I made a little buttered noodles and a lot of asparagus and let me tell you, mmm mmm good!

Poor Phil came home from an afternoon out and all he could say was "aww, I thought we were having soup!" Well, it wasn't my Mom's chicken soup but it was good. However, I still got a hankering for that soup.

Maybe next weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No Matter what Ree made today, the plates were cleaned to the bones.


Big Bro Phil