Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Do NOT Move My Litter Box

Yeah, that's what Benny said to me Sunday night. And believe me, I've listened.

Let's go back a bit.

Since we decided to keep Benny, my goal has been to get his litter box out of the bathroom and down to the basement. Benny has been all over the house but since we generally keep the basement door shut, he hadn't been down there. Starting a few weeks ago, every time I'd go to the basement, I'd leave the door open and call to him while I was down there.

About a week ago, Benny finally made it to the basement. He was checking out everything! I had finished my fluffing and folding of the laundry so I left him in the basement to continue his exploring and I went upstairs. I'd talk to him now and again to let him know I was right upstairs. Suddenly, he started to meow. He only does that if there is trouble!

I ran to the basement, only to be passed by Benny heading upstairs. He had a HUGE spider web that completely covered his poor little head! He couldn't see a thing! Hey, so I don't clean my basement too often! Anyway, I chased after him and caught up with him upstairs in the bathroom. I scooped him up and cleaned the web off of him. He was not happy about the whole ordeal and stuck REALLY close to me for the rest of the day.

Since then, I've still left the door open to the basement when I'm down there and I continue to call for him but he's having none of it. Well, I'm tired of cleaning that bathroom every day so I was anxious to get him to the basement. My friend Larry has been offering me advice. He said to carry the litter box and Benny downstairs together. Put the box down, put Benny in it and leave. He'd figure it out. HA.

From my kitchen, you walk down four steps. Then you either go straight out another door to my driveway or turn right and go down the rest of the stairs to the basement. I had the litter box in one hand, Benny in the other and I walked out the door. Benny was jiggy, probably thinking it's a new adventure. As soon as I turned that corner to go to the basement, he wanted none of it. He did all he could to claw the heck out of my shoulder as he tried to climb up and over me. I put the box down, Benny in it and before I could let go of him he was out of the box and up the stairs and up to the second floor. That's what he thought about that!

One of the things I've learned about cats is that they go to the bathroom at specific times. They go after physical activity, after they wake up and after they eat. Ok, all I need to do is watch for these three things to happen and get him to the litter box again.

After he had calmed down a bit Sunday after me taking him back into the basement, we played upstairs. We played fetch, we played with his rag toy, his feathers on a stick, we played and played. When we were done, I grabbed Benny and ran down to the basement with him again and put him in the litter box. Once again, I barely let him go and like a shot, he was out of there.

So, here is how Benny spent his day, curled up on my computer chair.


Ron and I spent the day downstairs watching movies, but Benny was having none of it. I kept calling to him but nothing. Finally, NINE hours after taking the litter box downstairs, I was having a fit! Ron and I went upstairs and I wanted my chair back. I picked up Benny, put him on the floor and I sat down. He RAN to the bathroom to where his litter box used to be. He looked from the empty space on the floor where he box used to be to me and back again. Ok, that broke my heart. He looked so sad and so scared. After nine hours, I caved.

I ran downstairs, grabbed the litter box and put it right back in the bathroom where it belongs. It barely hit the floor when Benny jumped in and peed like a race horse. I can't believe the poor little guy held it that long! He was VERY happy with me for bringing back his litter box.

Yeah, I get it. I will NOT move your litter box!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Why, yes, as a matter of fact, Benny is the boss :)

Glad to see he's keepin' you on your toes!