Saturday, September 25, 2010

Vacation - Thursday

Welcome to the San Diego Zoo! Holy crap, what a place!


This was on the top of my list of things to do in San Diego. I knew someone years ago that went to this zoo and ever since, this has been on my bucket list. I was not disappointed in the zoo!

The first thing to do at the San Diego Zoo is to catch a ride on the tram. This narrated tram ride takes you to see a good 70% of the zoo, all from the comfort of sitting on my butt! And, you got the lay of the land so you knew which way you wanted to go to see whatever you wanted. The zoo is very hilly so getting a plan of action is very important!

Here is an over my shoulder shot of David and Edna on the tram! Not bad for not seeing what I was doing!


And then my long arm shot to get the four of us!


Here are some of the other animals that we enjoyed at our day of the zoo!

I have a fear of elephants that rivals my fear of dogs! I wouldn't choose to walk by the elephants, but the tram took us by and even stopped right in front of them. This huge bull elephant started walking towards us and by the time he got here I was ready to jump off of the tram and start running for it! Yikes!


This hyena was gnawing on a bone that was bigger than my thigh. Our guide told us that he could bite that in half if he wanted. Ouch!


It was dinner time for the grizzly bear as well.


David and Edna being silly! A little play area for the kids. Hey, we're just big kids!


Then, we took the sky tram from one side of the zoo to the other. Holy crap! As my brother Jim about being on sky rides with me at Waldameer! It is NOT pretty! But, I was a trooper and in spite of my fear, joined everyone on the ride. It sure beat walking up hill all that way!


Since you can't tell how freakin' high we are, I hung the camera over the edge so you could get a better look. And, for the record, yes, I was crapping my pants!


It's hard to determine which was my favorite. The polar bears or the pandas. They were both awesome exhibits. Unfortunately, the most exciting thing these polar bears were doing was napping! It's still pretty awesome to be THIS close to an animal that can rip me apart in seconds!


The sun must have been in her eyes! Gotta get that paw up to cover your face!


Then over to the pandas. Mom is on the bottom left, baby is on the top right. Both were munching away at the bamboo. The zoo is amazing. They grow the bamboo for the pandas to eat right on the zoo. It's planted everywhere. I love that they grow a lot of their own food for the animals.


David and Edna, being cute!


Ron and I, being cuter! (Hey, when you guys start writing a blog, you can decide who's cuter!)


They had vertical people movers to easily get you from one part up hill to another part. Steep but again, it beat walking!


This is the tank that the hippos swim around in. I was so disappointed that as soon as we got to this exhibit, the hippos were just walking out of the water. We waited for them to get back in but they just didn't want to cooperate. So I got the fish instead.


Lucky for me, the tank next door had an alligator lounging in the water! Actually I think he was looking through the glass at me wondering if I was lunch!


We spent a good part of the day "monkeying" around! I couldn't resist the bad joke!


I had to slip one pretty posy into this blog!


Beautiful landscaping at the zoo.

The flamingo pond. They really are beautiful birds. HUGE birds. They had to stand at least three or four feet high.


This is another one that freaked me out. A sleeping kimodo dragon! It is awe inspiring to be this close to a prehistoric beast like this.


I tried to take a bunch of pictures in the reptile house but with the lighting, nothing really came out. It was still a great place to walk through.

So, that was our Thursday, the San Diego Zoo. If you're in the area, this is a must see!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I don't know how I missed this post before, but I gotta tell you that your gator in the water shot is incredible! It almost looks like gatorS with the reflection. Eek!