Saturday, September 11, 2010

Family Boating Fun

Are you tired of boating stories yet? Well, I'm not! Thanks to my favorite nephew, Michael, his wife Jenny and their beautiful little ones, Evan and Grady, for coming out and playing with us today. I'm telling you, we had so much fun today, we must have stolen someone else's fun for the day!

Today the lake was not the most cooperative. There was a storm blowing in, so we were trying to get this ride in early before the weather turned for the worse.

After my last experience on the boat, I was a little apprehensive to try this again. But, I wanted to go play with the kids, so I took my Dramamine earlier this time and hoped for the best.

Evan and Grady couldn't get on the boat fast enough. They were on, life jackets on and ready to go! If there was any apprehension in them, it didn't show. There were just ready to go.


My favorite nephew, who always strikes a pose when there is a camera around!


Grady had this huge grin on his face the entire time we were out, except for the one millisecond it took to take this picture!


Me and Jenny hanging.


I think this was the boys' favorite seat on the boat. They would sit here, then go below into the cabin, then back up and falling, crawling, and stumbling around the deck, on the back seat, then back to the front seat, down to the cabin, back and forth back and forth. The kids definitely weren't bored! I think trying to walk on deck while the boat was bucking was the most fun for them! Go figure!




Michael even took his turn at being captain. He drove us most of the way from when we got on the lake all the way to Cedar Point! Of course, Evan was right there to help!


Ron is talking over the finer points of keeping us on course.


I tried to get a picture of Cedar Point, but I didn't even realize we were there until Ron went to turn the boat around and head us back home. Holy crap, that's when all hell broke loose!

The ride was bumpier than heck going out, the waves getting bigger and bigger. But, turning around it was suddenly like we were on a totally different lake. You know, a 29 foot boat looks pretty big in the marina. It's also pretty big with four adults and two children on it. It's a good sized boat. Until you're in rough waters. O M G, I felt like I was in a teacup.

Personally, I was absolutely terrified. The marine forecast said waves to two feet and that doesn't sound like a lot but when you're jumping over those puppies, they're huge! I had a death grip on the seat and I was doing my best not to curl up into the fetal position on the floor or jump overboard! I didn't want the kids to get scared in the rough water, so I tried to hold it together. Ok, Michael and Jenny knew I was crapping my pants, but hopefully the kids didn't. I'm telling you, they were hooting, hollering and just having a great time. That make everything worth it!

Ron took over the driving on the way back. Like I said, this is where the waves were the worst and that boat was rocking. Up onto the crest of the incoming waves and it felt like a few times we slammed back down onto the water. It was crazy! Here is Michael and Jenny, enjoying the ride! The three of us in the back and Ron driving the boat all ended up soaked on the ride back! There was no safe place to get out of some of the spray. Hey, I was wetter in the shower earlier. It's all good!


Thanks to my favorite nephew and his family for coming out to play with us today. The best part of the whole day was when we were loading up to go home, Evan wanted to know when we could all go back out on the boat again! Yeah, I am the fun great-aunt and still the favorite aunt in Ohio!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Thanks again for taking us out--we all really enjoyed it!