Monday, September 13, 2010

It Went Bump In The Night

Saturday night, Ron went and spent the night on his boat. That means I have a quiet night at home with no one complaining that I'm watching reality TV all night long!

There I am, watching Judge Judy and playing Pogo when I heard a loud bang/boom kinda noise. To me, is sounded like Phil fell in the next room.

I jumped up and ran over to Phil, who was sitting quietly in his room on his chair, watching TV. I got his attention and asked him if he heard that bang. When he watches TV in his room, he usually has his headphones on, so he heard nothing. Hmm. So, I went around and checked out all through the house and looked out all of the windows to see what could have caused the noise.

It was actually all quiet in my neighborhood that night for a change. I saw no one outside, the motion lights outside weren't turned on, so I had no idea what it was. It didn't sound like a car kinda noise as there was no metallic ring to it. It really sounded like it was inside the house, and that someone or something fell.

Strange things happening in my house isn't new. It's happened to us since we moved in, and it happened to the people that lived there before us. There are strange noises, things get moved, lights get turned on or off, there are cold spots. Not often, but it's happened. I wasn't really thinking about that at first on Saturday, but now I'm not so sure.

That was about 10:00 pm. Sometime just after midnight, I decided to go to bed. Just as I was crawling into bed, I heard it again! LOUDLY. I jumped up and ran out into the hallway. Phil's door was now closed, so I stood outside, trying to listen if he was snoring. I didn't hear snoring, but I also didn't hear him moaning in distress. Once again, I went all over the house, checking all of the doors, windows, cars outside, etc.

Nothing. Again, no motion lights were tripped, no one around outside, nothing inside was moved or fallen. Finally I said the heck with it. The alarm was set on the house, so if anyone tried to open a door or window, I'd hear it. There was nothing more I could do. Back upstairs I went.

As soon as I was back in bed, a third thud! I had enough. I finally said out loud "I'm done. Make all the noise you want, I'm staying in bed!" I did lay in bed and watch TV for awhile, but that was the end of the banging in the house. Some days you just gotta get tough with restless spirits.

Then, I had the thought. I just felt my Dad. Maybe it was wishful thinking, maybe it was just a random restless spirit or maybe it was just my imagination. Either way . . .

July 29, 1924 - September 13, 2007 I miss you, Dad.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

We will have to swap boogeyman stories sometime.

Your dad must have been a great guy to have a wonderful daughter like you that he just can't stay away from. *hugs*

Loraine Ritchey said...

We will defintely have to swap some "happenings" one day - you aren't alone ;)Loraine