Monday, September 20, 2010

Vaca - Just Getting Started

As you know, we left for vacation on Saturday. We couldn't have asked for a better day for travel.

Aside from having to leave the house at o-dark-thirty, we had a problem free travel day and even a few most pleasant surprises!

First, Cleveland Hopkins Airport sure changed in the last few years since I've been there. The places I remembered were no longer there and there were a ton of new restaurants and new stores. Who would think to go to the airport to shop? But what amazed me the most was the Best Buy vending machines! For real! A vending machine!


You could buy just about anything from this VENDING MACHINE! Need a new camera? Got it. A new cell phone? Right here. Whatever you needed, including just about any peripheral you can think of, it was in this vending maching. A Best Buy vending machine. Wow. Who knew?

Further proof that technology is just running on by me, here was a new addition to the airplanes as well. Directv! I am not kidding you!


They told you to grab your free headsets as you boarded the plane and then for a nominal fee, you could get Directv right to your personal very own monitor! This is just crazy! I watched most of a movie, some NCIS, America's Next Top Model, Dirty Jobs among other things. Ok, this had to be my favorite part of the trip. We all know how much I love my TV watching time!

This picture is of the runway! This is as we were just making the turn to get onto the runway before ZOOM up up and away!


And then of course, not two minutes later as we are climbing out of Cleveland OH.


We had perfect flying weather. Even at 36,000 feet, I was able to see the ground the entire way across to California. I like that much more than being about the cloud cover. Everything pretty much looked like a barren wasteland at 36,000 feet but at least I could see something.

I took a bunch of pictures but nothing really came out. The window wasn't the cleanest and there was just a hint of a cloud and that was enough to ruin all of my shots. I'm posting them anyway because some of them I thought were cool, but I can only do so much from inside of the plane!






Yeah, I have no idea what we were looking at or where we were, but it was beautiful from way up there.

Then of course, finally come down into Los Angeles.


That is a welcome sight after spending 4-1/2 hours in a plane. Ugh, I was so ready to be anywhere but seated in a confined area.

However, there is still the two hour drive to get to my sister's house! Last time we went to California, Ron and I took a puddle jumper from LA to Oxnard. It was the most gorgeous 30 minutes in a plane that went right up the coast line. So worth the extra price of the ticket to fly right into Oxnard. Unfortunately, about six months ago, Oxnard stopped all commercial flights out of their airport and it is now reserved for private planes only. We had to be on the road now to get to Cathie's house.

I was to call Cathie when we were on our way to baggage claim. From there, she would tell me where "she" would meet up with me. I called. She said my DRIVER would be calling me in a minute to go over where to pick us up!! NO WAY! My driver??

My sister sent a Town Car to come pick us up at the airport! Here is me getting in my ride with our driver, Jon!


If you gotta spend two hours in a car driving out of Los Angeles, a Town Car is the way to do it!

This was one heck of a way to start our VACA! I can't wait to see what happens next!

No comments: