Saturday, January 28, 2012

Overreacting 101

Maybe I overreacted.  I'm not sure.

Today, I had such a hankering for a Quarter Pounder with cheese that we HAD to go to McDonald's for lunch today.

We went to the McDonald's on Route 611.  Inside, there is a counter with four stools on each side.  In the middle of the counter is a little privacy wall, maybe eight inches high or so.  When we went to look for a seat, at the counter was a mom and her two daughters.  The girls were maybe between six and eight years old.  Little cutie patooties!

The three of them were all sitting on the same side of the counter and Ron and I ended up sitting behind them.  I had my back to them so I wasn't paying any attention to what was going on.  When we went to leave, I saw mom and one daughter go back up to the register while the other daughter stayed at the counter.

However, now I see an adult male sitting on the opposite side of the counter facing the little girl while mom and the other daughter are at the register.  Then I hear the man say "so, where is your Daddy?" and then "why don't you show me your new toy?" (from the Happy Meal).  This just did NOT sit right with me.

The guy wasn't there when we came in but now he was sitting on the opposite side of the counter from the little girl.  If the guy didn't know the little girl, his comments were WAY out of line.  If he did know the girl, I was way out of line.

We got up and walked towards the front of the store and I looked at Ron and just said "we can't go yet".  I stood up front where I could see the little girl and I planned on staying there until mom got back to the counter with her.  From where I was, I couldn't hear what he was saying to the girl, but I wasn't taking any chances.

I think Ron knew from the look on my face that something was up, but he was nice enough not to make an issue about it right there and just stood by me and waited.  Once mom finished up and got back to the counter with the little girl, I said ok, we can leave.  On our way out, I told Ron what I heard the guy say.  I said there was NO way I was leaving her alone there with him.  He totally agreed and thought we should have stayed as well.

I really don't know what was going on.  Maybe in the way the world is today, I am always looking for the bad guy.  I trust no one.  Was this guy with them?  He wasn't when I got there.  If he was, why was he asking "where's daddy"?  I don't know.  I just got a bad feeling.

Did I over react?  Maybe.  Would I do the same thing all over again?  Absolutely.

4 comments:

Georgia said...

It's better to over react than to look away. I would have reacted like you, Ree.

Lisa said...

I might have even said something to mom, too. You did the right thing, no doubt.

Cathie said...

Atta girl! You did the right thing!! There are WAY too many apathetic people in this world who would have ignored the situation completely. You cared enough to be sure the girl was safe. I'm proud of you.

Loraine Ritchey said...

always trust your gut feeling and err on the side of caution