Sunday, January 22, 2012

Home Depot, From Hero to Zero

Back in September when I bought new windows for the house, I was totally impressed by everything that was Home Depot.

From Dave who came to my house for the estimate who educated me to the point that I felt that I was teaching things to the next two companies that came in to quote the job, to our installer Bob.  Like I said, Dave made sure I was an educated consumer and I knew better what to look for in the rest of the estimates.  He didn't leave my house until ALL of my questions were answered.

He explained pricing, financing, construction, and I knew exactly what to expect from the beginning to the end.  Home Depot got that contract in a large part because of Dave.  All three estimates I received were all in the same ball park price wise, but customer service wise, Dave won hands down.

Bob our installer came in and for two days worked harder than I could have hoped for.  He was pleasant, engaging, and happily followed my rules to ensure no cats snuck out the door.  And the icing on that cake was that he did a GREAT job on the installation and I have been nothing but happy about spending all that money on new windows.

So, when I needed to spend more money on home improvements, my first choice was to go back to Home Depot.   Yeah, lightening didn't strike twice.

I went to the local store on Leavitt Road in Lorain.  Now, I had done my research and even was at the store getting an estimate a few months ago so I knew what I wanted.  This turned out to be one of the worst experiences spending money I've had.  And, it's not over yet.

I have a feeling Home Depot doesn't sell many garage doors because this guy had a lot of trouble with the website to get the door ordered.  He really didn't seem like he knew what he was doing.  Another employee came over to help so I thought I was going to be in better hands.

When I bought the windows, I put half down and then paid the other half once installation was complete.  I assumed that was the way it was going to be this time.  Wrong!

When I went in previously, I had asked how to measure for the new door to get the estimate, and we just sort of guessed and used the standard size for a single bay door.  I was told then not to worry since a professional would come to my house to get the measurements before the door was ordered.

So, yesterday, he took down all my info such as what door I wanted, what color, and he GUESSED at the size and then said I had to pay $XXX.xx in total up front!  I said you don't even know the size, how do you know the amount???  He kept saying not to worry, someone would be out to measure!  The next thing I know, I've handed over my gift cards.  You know I'm all about getting some free gas from Giant Eagle with the gift cards!!  Anyway, at his station, he couldn't seem to enter more than two gift cards, as the system supposedly wouldn't allow him.  This caused his coworker to ask me if I bought those gift cards from a guy in the parking lot.  Really??  I gave him the stare down while he laughed at his own joke.  Really buddy?  I'm spending a lot of MY hard earned money and you're questioning my integrity?  You're questioning how I am paying for this?  Let me tell you, had I not just spent all this money on gift cards, I would have high tailed it elsewhere for a garage door. 

Home Depot:  The two guys that work in doors and windows at the Lorain facility are NOT assets to your organization.  These two would be best kept out of contact with your customers.  I am speaking from experience here.

So, we had to walk up front so that I could pay for this purchase.  The girl at customer service rang it up, took my gift cards then asked me to sign the screen where you usually sign for your credit card.  She said this was their "customer agreement" that I was signing.  I asked just WHAT was I signing?  She said "uh, our customer agreement.  I don't really know what it says."

Um, Home Depot:  Add this girl to your list that needs to be taken off the front line and put behind the scenes.

Still nothing had been explained to me.  I said I'm not signing anything until I see in writing that the old garage door will be carted away and that the new door would be hooked up to the existing garage door opener.  The associate that filled out my paperwork was like a deer in the headlights.  I said I'm serious, show it to me in writing. 

Finally, paperwork was printed out and the THREE of us were looking through it.  I finally found the clause that stated the old door would be hauled away.  In the paperwork I had, there was NO mention of hooking up the new door to the existing opener.  I finally gave up, resigned to the fact that we'll have to hook it up ourselves.  The associate then told me "um I'm sure they'll hook it up for you."  I told him that his assurance and fifty cents will buy me a cup of coffee but I doubted it would get my opener hooked up. 

I was so frustrated by the time I left Home Depot over on Leavitt in Lorain.  I just spent a LOT of money and I feel like I got nothing in return.  As a side note, I went through the paperwork I was finally given AFTER my signature and did find in writing that the new door will be hooked up to an existing opener.  That is the one bright spot on this.

This Mickey Mouse operation does NOT give me warm fuzzies about anything else.  Mark my words, they will be getting more and more money out of me due to additional charges that the original associate had no idea about.  I don't know this for sure, but I'm telling you, between the two of them working, neither of them seemed to know what they were doing.  This is not going to end well, I'm sure.

I know it's going to cost me more money.  You can't pay for something without measurements.  WTF.  Even I know that.  I guess this is the down side to paying with gift cards.  The money had already been expended, now I have to buy something for that much money.  Ugh.

Hopefully when all is said and done, I'll have a new garage door.  And the additional cost will be minimal.  That would be best case scenario.  What's the chances?

2 comments:

Mark said...

Good luck, hope all goes well. I let my fingers do the walking and found Maurer's last year when a spring broke on my door. The first two "big name" local door businesses didn't know where their people were when I called and didn't know when someone could come out. I called Maurer's and the contact person asked if within the hour was quick enough. YEA.

Replaced my spring and gave me an excellent quote on a new door, including installation and removal of old door. But asked me to wait until later in the summer because the prices were quite high at that time. Got a great looking door, great service and even compliments from the neighbors. My folks even called Maurer's when they had problems and they were happy, too.

Any chance you can still cancel Home Depot??

Unknown said...

Ugh, I wish I'd have talked to you sooner!

Nothing has gone right with this yet. I need to get out already and cut my losses already.

Thanks for the info!