Tuesday, January 24, 2012

No Black Olives - EVER!

Last summer when my sister Cathie came for a visit, I took one day off of work for us to go "bumming".  That's aimlessly wandering around with little to no plan other than shopping.

Our day also included a stop at the local Subway for sandwiches for the two of us and our brother Mike.  I may have been off for the day but he still had to work.  We stole him from work for awhile as we headed to the Metro Park in Carlisle Township with our Subway sandwiches for lunch.

Now, I ASKED Mike what kind of sandwich he wanted the day before.  He asked for a meatball sub and that was all the instructions I got regarding how he wanted his sandwich made.  Meatball sub.

Cathie and I went into Subway, built our sandwiches and then I asked for one meatball sub.

Sandwich maker:  Would you like that toasted?
Me:  Um, ok!
Sandwich maker:  Do you want cheese on there?
Me:  Um, ok!
Sandwich maker:  Would you like anything else on this sandwich?
Me:  Um, what do people usually put on meatball subs?
Sandwich maker:  Some people like black olives on the meatball subs.
Me:  Um, ok!

I took a lot of crap from Mike about that sandwich!  For real!  If you don't like how I make your sandwich, make your own!  If you don't like the black olives, knock them off of the sandwich and eat it!  The olives are all on top!  Oh no.  It was much easier to eat the entire sandwich as is while busting my ovaries about putting black olives on a meatball sub!

Some things you never get over.

Tonight I went for my usual weekly shopping run to Sam's Club and Giant Eagle.  The guys are on their own for dinner on my shopping night and generally as a treat I stop and get myself a Subway sandwich on my way home.  I went in to the one on Oberlin (my personal favorite!) and there were a few people in line ahead of me.  It never takes long, so I was waiting patiently for my turn.  Finally, as they had my sandwich in the toaster over, I was listening to the woman and her son ahead of me building their sandwich.

Sandwich maker:  What would you like on your sandwich?
Mom to her son:  Do you think we should put lettuce on there?  (he nodded)  Ok, put a lot of lettuce on there.
Sandwich maker:  Anything else?
Mom to her son:  Um, what else do you think we should put on his sandwich?  Some tomatoes?  (he nodded)  Yes, some tomatoes please.  (they seemed to be picking up a sandwich for someone else)
Sandwich maker:  Anything else?
Mom:  Oh I don't know what to do.  Maybe some pickles?
Sandwich Maker:  Ok.  Anything else?
Mom:  How about black olives?

At this point, I had to add MY two cents worth!

Me:  NO!  Not black olives!  You should NEVER put black olives on some one's sandwich for them!  NEVER!

For real, I have never gotten worse looks from three total strangers!  Mom, son and sandwich maker all looked at me like I was nuts!  It might have to do with the fact that I was standing there laughing my butt off, but I digress.

If I have learned nothing from my brother, I learned NO black olives.  EVER!  I was just trying to pass along my knowledge to someone else.  Did they listen to me?  NO!  They went ahead and added those black olives to that sandwich.

I know once they got that sandwich home to whoever they ordered it for, they thought of me.  Yep, I'm sitting over here saying "I told you so"!  Next time they'll listen to me.

3 comments:

Cathie said...

I will never understand how Mike was so put off by the black olives in his sandwich, but he ATE EVERY ONE OF THEM!!! We have been blessed with brothers from a different galaxy!!!!!!!!!

Georgia said...

I don't like black olives. Ewww..... Green ones are fine.
And since I heard that they sometimes just dye green ones to make them black I don't eat them any more.

Love the story of the nodding boy and his mother. So funny!

Mark said...

No olives at all. Period.

And I catch a lot of grief for it from my Italian family.