Monday, January 09, 2012

No Longer A 3-D Virgin!

Saturday, Phil had gone out for the day so Ron and I were tossing around a few ideas of what to do ourselves.  I voted for laundry, but Ron wanted something more fun!  Luckily, I was talked out of laundry pretty easily!

We haven't been to a movie in awhile, so that was our pick for the day.  We went online to see what was playing, and out of everything we chose Hugo.  It looked cute.

I guess we should have looked closer at the write up on the movie!  Neither one of us had any idea that it was a 3-D movie!  Yikes!  Hey, we're cheap.  When we do go to a movie, we hit the matinee.  It's still expensive but better than paying full price.  Do you have ANY idea how much a freakin' 3-D movie is?  Even at matinee prices?  It was $21 for TWO of us.  For real! 

Now we're in line, just told it will be $21 and at the last minute we decided what the heck.  We're there, we wanted to see a movie, we'll (Ron will!) cough up the extra cash and we'll splurge.  Hence, my first 3-D movie in probably 25 years.  Actually, now that I think of it, my last 3-D movie was Friday the 13th part III in 3-D!!  That came out in 1982 so that means . . . damn, I'm old.  But, I digress.

Back in my day, it was the paper glasses that never seemed to sit over your glasses right.  Everything was still a little blurry, or at least as far as I was concerned.  Gone are the crappy paper glasses with one red lens and one blue lens.  Now we have Blues Brothers


kind of black plastic glasses!  There at least were recyclable, which I'm hoping means that they clean and then rebag for the next person.  At least the germ-o-phobe in me is hoping that!  Stylish, huh?!

So, we saw our first 3-D movie in a lot of years.  And man, have things changed!  I don't think the point any more of a 3-D film is to scare the crap out of you with spears coming at your head.  Now I think the point is taking you INTO the movie.  When it snowed on screen, Ron and I both were reaching out to touch the snow.  I swear, we were waiting for it to fall on us.  That was pretty cool.

Did I like the movie?  To be honest, I don't remember.  I think I was concentrating so much on the 3-D effects, I really don't know if I liked the actual movie or not.  It had Sir Ben Kingsley in it so that is a huge plus in my book.  I have always loved his work, even when he played himself in The Sopranos!  I'm a big fan. The movie didn't really end up being what I thought it was going to be, but I guess it was good.  I really was too busy looking at the gear works of the clocks, the falling snow and of course, a charging doberman pinscher in 3-D to really pay that a lot of attention to much else!

Cool effects aside, was it worth the extra cash?  I don't think so.  But, you know me, I'm going kicking and screaming into the new technology age, so I'm probably the last one to ask about this.  I can say now that I've been there, done that.  It will be a long time I imagine before I'm willing to spend that kind of money on a movie again. 

I told you, I'm old.

At least I'm not a 3-D virgin any longer!


1 comment:

Georgia said...

LOL, I'm old, too. And I think 3D is nothing I would really enjoy. Why? I think these effects aren't necessary and a bad film won't get better with it. A good film however doensn't need it.
I confess: I'm a 3D virgin. Giggle. Can remember those 3D books. I had one from Kodak, a Christmas story, when I was a child. And you needed these glasses with red and green lenses. I still have the book in my collection of old cameras.

You are added on Flickr now and I'm going to answer your mail tomorrow. I enjoyed it very, very much! Greetings!