Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Turn Left! No, Right! No, LEFT! Right?

Anyone that knows me, knows I don't know my east from my west from my north from my south. How in the hell I survived without a Garmin is mind boggling!

Well, life has been interesting here at work lately. Brother Michael is happy over in China eating his DimSun, fish eyes and whatever else they throw at him. But with him gone, that leaves a huge hole at work!

One of Mike's many jobs here is that if any driver needs to know where we are, he tells them. He does great directions! I will hunt him down, no matter where he is, and make him take those calls. Recently, as I was sitting in my office next to his, I hear him giving another driver directions. Something came over me and I started taking notes. Step by step, turn by turn, I listened how he told the driver how to get here. It's not the way I'd do it, but whatever. I can't find my way out of a wet paper bag so what do I know!

When he was done with his call, I took my notes over and we went over them with Google Maps (as if that would help me!) so I could see the directions he was giving. Ok, whatever. I kept my notes in the hopes that I would never have to use them.

Then, first thing yesterday morning it happened. A driver wanted to deliver and he didn't know how to get here. Holy CRAP! I was the only one here! I dug out my notes, and tried to talk like I knew what I was talking about. English wasn't his first language and it's barely mine. Somehow I got through my list of instructions, he said ok, and we hung up.

I was talking to my friend Jeff yesterday (ok, emailing back and forth almost counts as talking!) and I told him the story. He was nice enough to tell me that I am good at telling people where to go so I shouldn't worry, the driver will find his way! Thanks, Jeff! I know that was said with all the love in your heart!!

Well, he was right. The driver did find his way in just the amount of time it should have taken him from where he was! Go me!

But for real, people. In this day and age, if you drive for a living, invest in some kind of GPS! They are everywhere! Garmins, Tom Toms, Magellans, IPhones, most cell phones and a ton of other stuff I probably just don't know about. You should NEVER depend on me knowing how to get YOU anywhere!

No comments: