Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Carb Friendly Pizza!

It is my personal favorite thing to eat. Pizza. And what is the best of the best? Donato's thin crust pepperoni pizza! Holy crap, life doesn't get any better than this!!

Even before I knew I was a diabetic, I didn't get Donato's often. Ron doesn't care for their pizza in general, and lately pepperoni doesn't agree with him. I have no idea what else Donato's Pizza sells, as all I have ever had is their thin crust pepperoni. For real, I'm drooling over there thinking about it.

In doing my research on grams of carbs in food, I found out my beloved Donato's had a no-dough pizza! C'mon now, how can this NOT be great?!?!?

One fourth of a large thin crust pepperoni pizza from Donato's, or one personal sized pizza, has approximately 50 grams of carbs. That's a lot of carbs. But the no-dough variety is only 17 grams of carbs! This is a total win/win! I get my favorite pizza with absolutely NO guilt!

I believe they only sell the no-dough in a personal pizza size, but put in a little side salad with that, and a soda, and there is dinner for under $10.

One night last week, the three of us were each going our own way for dinner. I had to go to Avon, and then I remembered the last Donato's on this side of town (or so it seems) is the Donato's on Walker Road in Avon Lake.

I went in, ordered my piece of heaven, sat down and prepared to be wowed. I woofed down my salad but here is the pizza, or at least what's left of it when I thought to grab my camera from my purse.


This is all of the great stuff from the pizza with none of the bad stuff! For real! At the bottom of the picture, you see a white thingie on my fork. They "build the pizza on a bed of protein rich crumbles" (I'm guessing tofu) instead of a crust. That line came from their website. I'm not sure if I'd call it a "bed" but the things are tasteless so I don't care what they are. The pizza is freakin' fabulous! I was in dinner heaven that night!

But, as I was sitting there, enjoying my dinner at a table by the window, a little convertible sports car comes zooming up next to me. It parks against the side of the building instead of in a parking spot across the lot. Fine, I can understand lazy people. But imagine my surprise when I saw who came out of this red Mazda MXS (of course it had the top down!):

This was driven by a woman that had to be pretty close to my age who had to put the seat all the way back to get out of the car and then she fought with . . . . wait for it . . . . . a pizza delivery bag off of the passenger seat!

Yes boys and girls, this was a delivery vehicle for Donato's pizza! How could you not smile at that? Either Donato's really is that over priced or times are tough in Avon Lake. Buy a sports car, get a job delivering pizza so you can afford to drive it.

Oh well, regardless of their delivery vehicles, order a no-dough Donato's pizza. You don't have to get pepproni, they have a wide variety. No guilt pizza. It's about time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They do not use tofu for the "crust." It is soy crisp crackers crumbled up.