Sunday, October 17, 2010

PhotoPhun Challenge: Textures

Yes, I picked the challenge for this week. Textures. I know, I know, it's a lot like the macro challenge we just did. I can't help it! I got a new toy (Lisa showed me the macro button) and all I want to do is play with it!

Ok, there is another reason. Lisa and I actually got together after work for a cup of coffee recently. We were supposed to talk about our cameras, but 2-1/2 hours later and that we just didn't have time to hit THAT subject too! But, one of the stories I told her was that my house was remodeled just before I bought it. Our friend, Larry, had done most of the work. I have all new drywall throughout the house and all of my ceilings were newly textured. In the seven years since I've been here, I have looked and looked at these ceilings and I keep seeing images in them. Lisa wanted to see that, so I called the challenge of textures, because I could never figure out a way to work my ceilings into a blog! And, I think Ron was hoping I'd never figure out how to work this into a blog! But, here they are. Pictures of my ceilings. Enjoy!

The first two pictures are from my dining room ceiling.



And these two are from my bedroom ceiling!



Ok, mind out of the gutter. Now that I've got that out of my system, here is what else I looked at.

This is a leaf on my curtain in the living room.


This was my new colander in the sink after I got done rinsing my grapes.


A lamp shade in the living room.


When I was young, my Mom had done all of the cooking. Our heritage is all Slovak and Mom cooked her share of Slovak food for us. One staple was halushki, which is a dumpling made from flour and egg, and are similar to Hungarian spaetzel. You plop a bunch of dough on a pallet or plate and you spoon small gobs of it into boiling water to make the dumpling. My Mom used this board exclusively just for making halushki. I believe my Uncle John made the board for her. It's worth nothing but a lifetime of memories.

After my Mom passed away, I was at my Dad's and found this in the cupboard. Its days of holding dough for halushki were long gone but the memories remained. The board is unusable and cracked, but it hangs above my sink.


Just so you get an idea, it's not a texture picture, but this is what the whole board looks like.


Another week's challenges in the books! This is just so much fun!! Please make sure you check out the other PhotoPhuners, Lisa and Mark, and see what fun textures they found as well.

8 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh, so that's how it works now, is it? Lisa wanted to see Larry's ceiling art, not Ree wanted to show it off, huh? ;-)
You did a great job on your textures, Ree! I took pictures of things that I normally wouldn't have and that's always a good thing :-)

Mark said...

Very nicely done. My twisted mind must be unraveling a bit as I missed the R-rated figures in the ceiling until I went back.

Love the Slovak story. My Mom used to do that, but she learned after my folks were married. Mom was full Italian, and I don't think she cooked too much Hungarian/Slovak before.

Unknown said...

I needed a cohort in crime! Actually, I did say I've been trying to work this into the blog, just couldn't find the angle. YOU were my angle!! :) thanks!

Mark said...

Next week is "Looking into the Past".

Danny Doofus said...

I have serious texture issues.

Kalin said...

You guys are having so much fun with the photos. I hope you don't mind me submitting my website that features my photos.

Here's the link: http://lorainphotophun.shutterfly.com/

Unknown said...

Welcome, Kalin!

Here is the link for the idea for this Sunday's challenge.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/lookingintothepast/

Good luck!

Kalin said...

The idea is great. I'm going to spend some time with my Grandma who has lived in Lorain her whole life. I can wait to sift through the photos.