Sunday, October 10, 2010

PhotoPhun Challenge: Good Things Where You Live

This week's challenge is to find something good in the town you live in.

Ok, being a relative newcomer to Lorain, I have not had too many great experiences with Lorain. I have seen horrible things with the stupidity in the government, stupidity in the police force, stupidity in town in general. This challenge was sure a head scratcher. Since I'm usually a "glass is half empty" kinda gal, I really had to dig deep to look at this town in a new way. Something good in Lorain?

I DID find good stuff in Lorain! First is one of my favorite places in Lorain, the renovation of the main library downtown. I am a huge believer in libraries, and if you haven't taken advantage of this resource, stop in and see what the library can do for you.

It's been a rough couple of months at the library as they have been under construction. It was so worth the wait though! It's beautiful what they've done!

First of all, for us lazy people, there was no parking out front, even for a minute to run a returned book or video in. You had to park, walk ALL the way to the door, (sarcasm here!) go in, drop off your stuff, back out, through the parking lot and out. One of the updates is enough room for two or three cars, enough time to jump out, run your stuff in and get out! And, to make it even easier, you don't even have to go all the way IN to the building, there are drop slots in the outside of the building as well as drop slots in the foyer. Win/Win!



It was hard to capture just how nice the inside of the library is. I didn't think it was horrible inside before but they sure did spruce it up nicely. This is a very good thing in Lorain.



The Black River Landing. A truly great feather in the cap of Lorain. Not only is it the home to the International Festival, it is the home to the Port Fest, Farmer's Market, and a truly great place to take a book you just got from the library and sit and enjoy the scenery. By the way, can you tell we were out on the boat yesterday?




Then there was the most obvious good part of Lorain is Lake Erie! Another resource I think most of us take for granted! Not only is Lake Erie right here, we here in Lorain also have free access to the beach! How can this not make my list of good stuff in Lorain?


Yeah, this one came from the archives but it still counts!

Lastly, one near and dear to my heart. One of my neighbors moved out last week. Gone are the all night parties. Gone are the 2:00 am scream fests of "F-you, no F-you" while listening to the little kids they had crying on the porch. Or their stereo blaring to all hours of the night. And, my favorite. The "friend" that would show up between 3:00 am and 4:00 am and lay on his car horn until someone came out of the house. Because we all know, when you blow your horn, the ONLY person who hears it is the person you're blowing at. Yeah, no one else will hear that at 4:00 am.


This at least made things good in MY part of Lorain!

Don't forget to check out the good things in Lisa and Mark's worlds! I'm sure they found a lot of good stuff!!!

And, I'm calling next week's challenge. The next challenge will be "TEXTURES". I know it's similar to the Marco challenge of last week, but I'm not done playing with my macro button! So, textures it is! Good luck!

3 comments:

Mark said...

Nicely done! I never even saw the 3-minute parking sign. That was a great idea!!

Textures, huh? Could be interesting. Someone is really lovin' their macro function!!

Good luck to all!!

Lisa said...

See, I knew you'd find more than just the library :-) Gotta love the new chick's perspective! Well done! And the neighbors moving out is a GREAT thing! Nobody deserves to be rudely awakened by a ghetto doorbell night after night.

Looking forward to those textures...

Unknown said...

Guilty as charged! I LOVE my macro feature!