Monday, August 16, 2010

Update # 3 - Good News!

Ok, I wasn't going to blog a diet update this week, but I just HAD to!

I had my three month check up today and I passed with flying colors!

The doctor is thrilled with my weight loss through diet and exercise. He was happy with my blood sugar readings over the last month and most importantly, my A1C test was 5.9!!!!!

This is huge. My last appointment with him, my A1C test was over 10. A diabetic reading should be equal to or less than 7. With a reading of 5.9, I am well below the limit and I'm told, I'm bordering on NON-diabetic! For real!

He has also cut my medication in half. Next stop will be off of the medication altogether, which is of course, my goal. How am I going to do this? I'm glad you asked. I'm going to do this by continuing what I'm doing. Eating much better and getting some exercise. Who knew that was really the secret.

The only down side to this whole thing is how I'll know that I probably no longer need to take medication. You see, the only way to know is when your sugar starts going too low. I was told if I keep this up, I can expect that! So, what to look for:

First sign is you start having weird dreams, even nightmares. Yeah. Welcome to my life. As long as I can remember, my dreams have been weird. If they are not weird, then they are nightmares. Yeah, this test might not work so well with me.

The next clue is that I could just break out in a cold sweat and be very confused. If this happens, I am to take some candy or some juice to bring my sugar back up and then call the doctor. Hmm, if I'm that confused, am I going to know to eat some candy or drink some juice? Probably not. So, I went over this with the guys at home so they can watch over me if I get a little crazy. I talked to Mike about this at work, and of course, he's worried about being able to tell my normal confusion from a low sugar confusion! Funny guy, that Mike! So, that's what I have to look forward to. I'm ready for it!

Now, since I am in such a good mood tonight, I am even going to give you one free tip. As I just said, part of the secret is eating better.

Have you seen those commercials on TV for Yoplait Light Yogurt? I have to tell you, those commercials are 100% truth in advertising! No lie!

For breakfast this morning, I had red velvet cake! If you have a sweet tooth, this is definitely your answer. The flavors in this yogurt really are unbelievable. I think my favorite is the very cherry. That is until I have an apple turnover, with chunks of apples in there. Then again, how can you beat the lemon pie? Strawberry banana? Orange creme? This for me is the perfect breakfast food.

Even if you don't like yogurt, try it. For either 19 or 20 grams of carbs, depending on the flavor, this is a winner all the way. So, a free diet tip for you and some great news from the doctor for me.

All of my hard work is definitely paying off. It's been a darn good Monday! I can't WAIT to be confused!

2 comments:

Ron said...

I'm Proud of you, Way to go!

Kitty said...

Congratulations! You are AMAZING!!!