Thursday, August 26, 2010

Five Bells, It Must Be Seven O'Clock!

We have a mystery going on at our house!

But, a little background to the story first.

I don't usually sleep the night through. Some time during the night, I can't take my bed any more so I grab my cell phone (which doubles as my alarm clock) and I head down to finish out the night on the couch.

My alarm starts going off at 6:40 a.m. and the fourth snooze is at 7:00 a.m. Yes, my cell phone alarm even has a snooze alarm! The freakin' thing rings every five minutes, but it's better than nothing. About 30 seconds after my 7:00 a.m. snooze, I hear five bells chime. From the couch, it sounds like they are coming from upstairs.

We have an alarm on the house. The base of the alarm is located on the second floor of our house. For months now, I've been telling Ron that the alarm is trying to turn on the downstairs light and since I have it shut off, it can't turn it on. You see, our alarm system will also turn lights on and off automatically in the house. Ron tried to set it so that the lights were on downstairs when I went down to make coffee. Unfortunately, with me sleeping on the couch in the morning, I don't want the darn living room lights turning on and waking me before my fourth snooze on the cell phone! Anyway, the bell sounds to me to be very similar to the bell noise the alarm makes when you turn on or shut off the alarm. The alarm chimes once to say the alarm is set, twice to say the alarm has been disarmed, so I figured five of them meant "HEY! I'm trying to turn the damn light on!"

Well, Ron vehemently disagreed with my assessment of the chiming bell, but I wouldn't believe him. Come to think of it, I don't think he really believed that I was hearing bells every morning either!

Recently, Ron has been having to get up much earlier than usual for work. Now HE'S hearing it too! See, honey? I'm NOT crazy! Well, not much anyway!

Now the only problem is that we can't narrow down just where the dang bell is ringing from. It's not a door bell noise. Besides, we don't have a door bell. It's not the guy across the street backing his dump truck out of his driveway, because his back up alarm sounds much different, and it's not always just five dings.

What is it? From my perspective on the couch, it sounds like it's coming from upstairs. That's why I kept blaming our alarm system. But Ron was sitting up in the computer room and from there he says it sounds like it's coming from downstairs. The other day I made it up to the landing before the dings went off and I still say it sounds like it's coming from upstairs. I know it's not coming from the computer room, the bathroom or our bedroom. We've had Ron at the top of the stairs, me at the bottom of the stairs and we still can't decide where the sound is coming from. I even asked Phil if he had something in his room that would ring every morning. I don't care if he does, I just need to know WHAT it is!

So here is my idea. I'll get donuts, and put coffee on. Everyone show up at my house and we'll stake it out before 7:00 a.m. We'll put some one in every room and at least four people outside, so we can surround the outside of the house. It's driving me nuts that I can't figure this out!

I'm telling you, it's a head scratcher! It's not the alarm and I don't think it's our ghosts. Any other ideas?

3 comments:

Jenny said...

No idea, but I'll volunteer for the search committee!

Lisa said...

could it be a smoke detector that needs its batteries changed?

Ron said...

After a few more mornings of "What the heck is causing that?" We opened the doors and windows and waited. We still don't know what it is or exactly where it is coming from but we could tell it isn't coming from our house or property.