Thursday, August 05, 2010

Captain Ron

We call him Captain Ron! Yes, he finally did it. Last weekend, Ron went out and bought a boat! Can you believe it? I'm telling you, the grin on his face couldn't be wiped off, even by a plastic surgeon!

Here is Captain Ron, on his new baby.


I don't know much about much, but what I do know is that this is a 1985, Wellcraft 2900 Express Cruiser with twin engines, and it's blue and white! So much for my expertise on boats. That's about it! I can tell you the important things, at least as far as I'm concerned. It's got air conditioning and heat! Yeah, what more do I need to know?!!

Here is Ron is looking over the controls:

Here is one just of the cock pit. This boat came equipped with fish finder, GPS, and even auto pilot! Sweet deal!


Please forgive me, I don't have all of my nautical terms down yet. But, starting at the front of the boat working back, we have:

The V Berth or sleeping area. This is up into the nose of the boat, hence the name. You can't tell from the pictures, but the bed is about hip high when I'm standing down in cabin. It's an interesting picture watching me climb my big butt up into there! Speaking of butts, I'm a little worried about claustrophobia in there as well, once Ron and I are BOTH in there! This could be interesting! I know you can't tell well, but it is shaped like a V with the skinniest part in the very front and it does get much wider as the berth gets closer to where I'm standing.





I'm not a great photographer, so it's hard for me to really show what this looks like. The first one with better light, I was up close to the berth, then I backed up a little to show there is not much room top to bottom. That black square on top is the hatch to go topside. It's kinda tight in there!

With my back to the V Berth, I am looking into the galley, or kitchen area. On the left is the kitchen sink, stove, refrigerator, cupboards, etc.


On the right is the eating area. The table you see will actually turn and lower, creating another sleeping area. There are pads that go on top of the table once it's lowered, hence another bed.


Walking a little farther, there is the head on the left. That is a bathroom for us non-seafarers! As I always say, "when Mama has to pee, Mama has to pee"! The head is VERY small. Once I'm in, there is no more room for anything or anyone! But it does have all you would need in a head. On the right (and keep in mind, the boat hasn't been cleaned/sanitized yet) is the toilet.


If you were to stand directly in front of the toilet, you would be in the shower area. It's a hand held shower with a drain in the floor. Again, when you need to clean up, it will do the job!


It's a big enough boat, but it's really hard to get back enough to get pictures of anything! Y'all will just have to make a trip over to see the boat in person!

Standing in the galley, looking back up onto the deck. Here is another sleeping possibility. The captain's chair and passenger chair can be moved. Moving these forward a bit, the deck is big enough to put a queen sized air mattress out there for even more sleeping. Personally, I think this might be the place to sleep! There is a cover that goes over the boat, so even if it's raining, the deck should stay dry



So, there you have it. Ron's new toy! One of the things we can't agree on, is the name of the boat. Ron's happy leaving the name what it is, which is Bent Hook. I'm not thrilled with the name, besides, I think he needs to make it his own. I can't think of anything clever or catchy so if anyone has any ideas, bring them on!

In the meantime, I need to go do some shopping. I need some to get me a life vest (the boat has a bunch of them, but I want the industrial sized one, the one big enough to keep ME afloat!), water wings, pool noodles, and maybe a coast guard boat on stand by. Just in case!

Congratulations, Captain Ron!!

1 comment:

Mike said...

OMG -- when do the rides start? The boys and I will be first in line.