Sunday, March 27, 2011

PhotoPhun: Odd Foods

Really, what is odd? While something might be perfectly fine for one, someone else night think it's odd. I mean for real, people eat cockroaches and worms! No way in MY world is this normal! So, that just makes my point. What is odd? I've picked some food that people may have commented once or twice that what I eat might be a little abnormal. Whatever.

One of my favorite things in life is mashed potatoes and applesauce. No, not separately but on the same pile all mushed together. I haven't had this in ages, but I made some the other night just for the photo op! We start with the raw ingredients.


Once you've turned these spuds into mashed potatoes, place a plop of them on your plate and cover with your favorite applesauce.


Then, mix together well.


Viola! Ree's mashed potatoes and applesauce!!! Trust me, this stuff is the bomb! I am not a fan of mashed potatoes. But, if you gotta eat them, covered in applesauce is the way to go! mmm mmm good!

The same night I made us some brussel sprouts. I know I've blogged about these babies before. I can't believe that a lot of people won't eat them. Obviously, I think they're fabulous, but a lot of people think they're odd. Go figure.


Another dish from the one man's trash is another man's treasure: My sister-in-law invited the three of us for dinner for one of her specialties, liver and onions! Man, she makes the BEST! Even for you naysayers out there that think you don't like liver. You wouldn't say that if you tasted hers! We all left her house the other night fat and happy and this pan was just about empty!


It was a meal fit for kings! Since we didn't have any of them, all of us enjoyed tremendously!

Lastly is my dinner from Friday night. I can't remember all the details of the dish but it was mahi mahi on wild rice with grilled veggies with sweet spicy sauce and a little fruit dressing on the top.


This dish was lip smacking, belly busting GREAT! Why did this dish make the odd foods list? Because I had it at Mutt & Jeff's on Oberlin Avenue in Lorain! Driving by, you wouldn't expect much more than bar type food since for real, it's just a bar type place. But, looks are deceiving. Their menu is good, but Chef Patrick's specials are usually to die for! This was one of the specials Friday night and for real, this needs to be a staple on his menu! I just can't say enough good things about this dish. It just is odd that food like this is coming out of a neighborhood bar.

On your way to Mutt & Jeff's to taste the delicious food, make sure you check out Lisa, Mark and Jim's blogs to see what they thought was odd food.

4 comments:

Mark said...

You've got me beat. Applesauce and mashed potatoes? Hold the sauce and pass the butter or gravy for me. The mahi-mahi definitely has my attention. That looks delicious. And I'm afraid I'm gonna slide my share of liver and 'yuns to my left.

Nice pics!!

Lisa said...

I imagine applesauce & mashed taters isn't much different than having applesauce with potato pancakes. I like to mix corn with my mashed taters.

Thursday nite chicken paprikash @ Mutt & Jeff's is the best in town. I wasn't expecting you to say that's where the mahi mahi came from.

You got some great menu-worthy shots this week!

Mark said...

Mary LOVES her corn mixed up with her mashed potatoes. Gots ta have'em.

I'm gonna call another "free-for-all" for this week's challenge. There's no flowers blooming, no snow or ice. There's just buds on the trees, green pokin' up outta the ground, and really cold weather.

So shoot what tickles your fancy this week. Cooking? Go for it. Critters making you smile? Get'em. See something cool around town? Fair game. I'll make up for these FFA's later this summer.

Have Fun!!

Unknown said...

You're lucky I didn't take pictures of my REAL food passion!

Buttered noodles with ketchup!!! Yes, cook and butter any pasta and then like the applesauce, plop a ton of ketchup on it and mix it all up. Heaven on a plate, I'm telling you! Luckily, I'm watching my carbs and you CAN'T eat just a bite or two of this awesome dish!!