Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Am I Invisible?

For real, some times I wonder.

When I had my car accident a few years ago, I was in the left lane of a four lane road, stopped with my brakes on and my left turn signal flashing waiting for traffic to clear so that I could turn. Then, WHAM, that twit just slammed into my ass end.

I had serious case of deja vu on Friday along with my life flashing before my eyes.

I was on Grove Avenue, another four lane road, in the left lane, brakes on, left turn signal on, waiting to turn left on 30th Street. There is traffic coming at me, so I'm stopped there for awhile. I don't remember ANYone behind me when I turned on to Grove from 28th Street, so I wasn't expecting anyone to be running up my tail pipe.

Suddenly, something told me to look back. In my rear view mirror I see a freakin' tanker truck bearing down on my FAST. I popped the clutch, hit the gas and sped out of the intersection. THAT'S when this dick sees that a car is stopped in front of him and he locks up his brakes. Honest to pete, if I hadn't moved, he'd have creamed me. I was in too much shock to even flip this guy the bird.

I was able to go ahead and turn on 31st Street instead of 30th, but c'mon now, there is absolutely no excuse for this asshole to have not seen me. I don't know where he came from, if he came from the steel plant or if he came from 28th Street. All I know is that in at least two blocks, he should have seen me in the left lane. And yes, I did check and my brake lights AND my turn signal are working.

Does this shit only happen to me? I think my destiny is to die in a fiery car crash and so far I'm just practicing for the main event. I hate being on the road and I swear it gets worse every day. If I was out there driving like a maniac, I could understand these problems I'm having. But I couldn't be less at fault in my own accident or in this near miss.

Ugh. I need to find a job where I can just work out of the house. I don't want to go out any further than my front porch.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

As the captain of a Practically Transparent Cruiser, I totally get where you're coming from. Maybe there was more than one Wonder Woman and her invisible jet ;-)
I'm so glad somebody was looking out for you.
Mike doesn't really need you to be in the office everyday, does he? Forward the phones to your house and do everything else online!