Tuesday, November 09, 2010

I Ate What?

I may not be as adventurous at meal time as my brother Mike, but I am willing to try new things. Remember the kiwi berries? But, I digress. While Mike will eat fish eyes and mule, I prefer to stick with chicken and pork chops.

Anyway, last week when Mike was in Erie, he was at Wegman's and saw something different. This is Romanesco Cauliflower.



Like I said, I'm willing to try new stuff! Since he picked up a head for me, I knew if nothing else, this would make a great blog. This stuff is pretty awesome to look at! I finally made this last night in my happy steamer.

Mike had suggested just cutting it up and cooking it like you would regular cauliflower. I cut the florets off and threw them in the steamer.


The more you worked with this, the more you knew it was from the cauliflower family. Aside from being green and pointy, it looked, smelled, felt and cut just like cauliflower. After 18 minutes in the steamer, I put it in a bowl with some butter and salt.


Here is where Mike and I disagree! Tasting it, again, you know it's from the cauliflower family. I just think it had a funky taste mixed in with the cauliflower taste. It wasn't exactly bad, but it was a little funky.

If you served it at dinner and I was there, I'd eat it. But I don't think I'd buy it. Then again, I don't love eating fish eyes!

So, this was part of my low carb dinner. Here is my dinner plate from last night: tortilla-less fajitas!


Flank steak, fried onions and peppers with a side of the Romanesco Cauliflower. Even if I would have added 1/4 cup of salsa, some cheddar cheese and sour cream, the grand total would have been around 15 grams of carbs. As far as I'm concerned that make a great low carb dinner. And, it was mighty tasty too!

No comments: