Monday, November 15, 2010

Another Saturday Adventure

It's been a long time since Ron and I had a day of adventure. With the weather near perfect on Saturday, we decided it was a perfect time to go on another Saturday adventure. We had a day jammed full of fun (c'mon now, shopping at Big Lots IS fun!).

We started our fun day with breakfast at Pete's. Ok, Beach Cliff Diner, but I hate that name so to me it will always be Pete's! From there to Big Lots. For someone who hates to shop, there is something about Big Lots that just gives me a thrill. I'm not there often, maybe only about four or five times a year, but when I go, look out! There is just something about Big Lots!

However, this trip, my mojo was off. I just wasn't feeling it. I bought some two liter bottles of Diet Pepsi ($0.97 each!) but that was it. What a wasted trip to Big Lots. Damn that mojo. I'll just have to go back and try again.

After lunch, we decided to go out for a walk. One of the best things about Ohio is their Metro Parks system. Each and every one is phenomenal in its own way. We always try to hit a different park hoping to get to most of them in the area. We're still working on that list!


This time we went to Day's Dam, which is on 31st Street by East River Road. I think that's still in Lorain. I drive past this park a lot of days on my way to work. I see that a walking/bike path crosses 31st Street, and I've recently heard my friend Linda talking about walking this path. Curiosity got me and I wanted to try it, too.

Well, the scenery wasn't all of the best once you crossed the road, but the walking path was in perfect shape! We had a beautiful walk, in spite of some of the scenery. Shortly after crossing the road, you came to a tunnel of sorts. For real, had I been alone, I probably would have turned around!

This first one is heading in.


And, this was the view when we were heading out.


It seems that for a good part of this walk, only the actual pathway is part of the Metro Parks with private property on both sides of the pathway. Strange.

It was kinda desolate looking. I almost felt like I wasn't in Ohio any more!


You see the fence on the right keeping you out of that area. We were close to the steel mill and Ron thought that property was probably theirs. Especially with mounds of material stacked up we were guessing was used in the steel processing. To the left was a little strip and then down into the Black River. You couldn't see the water from the walkway, I'd have had to walk right to the edge. And, since there are private property, no trespassing signs over on that side, I didn't walk over there for the photo. I know, I'm boring!

Walking further along, this just reminded me of that movie, "Close Encounters of the Third Kind". Right? I kept looking for UFOs to come in for a landing!


Over active imagination aside, this really was a picture perfect day. This is my kind of weather.


No outing is complete without a little playing with my camera. And, yes, I still love that macro setting on my camera!


There was one bush full of these little red berries in the middle of nothing. Kinda awesome.

I really need to get a map of the Metro Parks as I have no idea where we were or where we were walking to, but we walked and walked. As afraid as I am of heights, there is something about walking over a bridge that I love! Here is one of the bridges we got to walk over.


That was enough of an adrenalin rush for me! I tried to take a bunch of pictures off of the bridges, but I messed up and none of them came out. I had to take pictures through the slats on the bridge since I wasn't tall enough to just take them over the top and I didn't put my camera far enough through the slats. The pictures were mainly of the slats and not much else! See? So much to learn!

Right after we came off of this bridge, we turned left and found a couple of benches looking out over a gorgeous view. We stopped here for a bit to rest my tired ass bones. The view was worth the walk, I'm telling you. This was from right in front of the benches.


And, another long arm shot! One bad thing about the long arm shots, I couldn't tell that Ron wasn't ready and wasn't looking at the camera! Sorry, honey!


I definitely want to try this park again. Next time though, I think we'll stay on the same side of the street where you park!

You'd think this would be enough fun for one day, huh? Well, you would be wrong. We finished the night with a real date type activity! Dinner and a movie! I won't go on too much about dinner since mine was really sub par. It's a good thing the company was good! After dinner though, we headed to The Lorain Palace Theater in downtown Lorain. Just because we were on a date, didn't mean I still couldn't be a cheap date!

C'mon now, where else can you go where the special is one movie ticket, one large popcorn, one large soda and one candy bar all for $9.00? Yes, NINE dollars. Add to that one more plain ticket to get in and our total movie cost complete with all of the junk food was $12.00. You can't beat that. Ron got the popcorn, I ate the M&M Peanut and we split the soda. Some days you gotta be bad!

That was an honest to goodness Adventure Saturday. I spent Sunday on my heating pad recuperating, but it was worth it. That's the last time walking in the Metro Parks that I try to see if I can remember how to skip. Yeah, that's better left for the 10 year olds, not me.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

http://www.metroparks.cc/

They have a hiking stick program you might be interested in. It gets you out and about to all the different parks for hikes of various difficulty.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for the information! That is awesome!!

Mark said...

Nice pics! Great macro of the berries. And the hiking program is pretty popular, I've heard.