Monday, August 07, 2006

What's My Sleep Number?

After a week with a sleep number bed, I still have no idea what my sleep number is. To make matters worse, no number on the dial seems to be any better than the one before it.

Yes, I succumbed to an infomerical for the sleep number bed. I haven't slept a night through in my bed in probably over a year. We need a new bed. I've watched the infomercials. I even sent away for the information packet complete with a longer commercial for the bed on DVD. We've read all of the information and we've watched the DVD. You know what? They still don't tell you everything.

Basically, we paid $1,800 for an air mattress. Just when I think I can't be any dumber, I pull out my credit card and prove myself wrong. Ok, spending that much for an air mattress and have it be everything they say it is in the commercial might have vindicated me in some small manner. But, since I still haven't slept a night through in the bed, I'd say all this proves is I really am an idiot.

The bed came in like three boxes which Ron was nice enough to put together without me. My only talent in building things is pretty much holding the flashlight. Anyway, he set up the bed and we both jumped in with our respective remote controls to adjust our sides of the bed. In case anyone is interested, you may only adjust one side at a time. When one person is playing with the remote, the other person's remote is disabled.

We both had a chance to play with our remotes, and we both have been playing with them all week. I've tried a setting from 15 to 80. Nothing impressed me. It's still an air mattress. Actually, it's TWO air mattresses. So, there is this hard ledge that is the bed form, going down the middle of the bed. I guess if we didn't sleep in the middle of the bed that night not be an issue. However, one of us is having to adjust on top of this divider every night. And there is the joy of having to get up and out of the bed in the morning. The bed form goes all the way around the mattress. So, in order to get out, you have to get up onto the form and then get out of bed. Ugh. What a waste of money.

We've both decided that this is not a good idea. When I ordered the bed, we were told that we have 30 nights in which to test the bed and then send it back if we don't like it.

Well, I don't like it. At all. It sucks. I'm calling tonight to send it back. I still need a new bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads up. I had always wondered about those. And it sounds like climbing over a water bed frame to boot to get out of bed. Am glad I have not gone for the deal either.