Sunday, August 13, 2006

Freedom

Today was Ron's last day of freedom. Well, maybe I'm being a little dramatic here, but I'm entitled. It's my blog!

Ron will be laid up for the next few days with his cataract surgery. So, on his last day of freedom, we decided to have an outside kind of day. Since the weather was as close to perfect as you could want, we decided a day on the motorcycle was definitely in order. As a public service announcement here, you really should work up your butt-tolerance on the motorcycle before you take it out for a 150 mile ride.

We were everywhere and then some. We stayed on all back roads, not even coming close to a highway or freeway. I'm telling you it was an awesome day!

Some of the highlights from today need to be noted. On Route 82 are three state/local prisons. One of them has a softball field pretty close to the road. As we were driving by, there were about four or five guys standing near the fence by the road. No worries, the fence was high and topped with barbed wire! But that aside, when we went to drive by, the guys stopped to watch us drive by. One of them was even waving. Aah, the freedom he misses. I didn't want anyone to think that I wasn't all about rehabilitating these inmates, so I indeed waved like crazy right back at him. Hey, it's the least I could do.

When you're on the back of a motorcycle, you really have to sit still. If I start jumping around in the back, or wiggling, I will make the whole bike move and then Ron has to fight to keep it steady. The reason I'm telling you this is because we came close to an accident today because I went crazy on the back of the bike!

It started with something smacking my hand that was on my knee. The next thing I know, something is flying up towards my face before it lands on Ron's back. Now I don't need to know what the heck it is, I already know it's a BUG! I was dumb enough to try to put as much space between me and Ron's back. When you're sitting on the back of a motorcycle that has a back rest, there isn't much space to maneuver. All I succeeded in doing is almost making Ron lose control of the bike. Good thing he's a good driver and kept us upright. Luckily, before I went over the back, I saw it was just a grasshopper. I think he was almost as scared as I was. He caught his breath and then took a hop off of our ride.

All in all, it was just a great day. The only down side is that after 150 miles, my butt is sore. So, now, me and my tired butt need to go. It's going to take Ron the rest of the night to get the snaggles out of my hair.

No comments: