Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Not Again!

I just started an audit today, and this one is a one person audit. So, I’m on my own. Sometimes I’m ok with that. This audit is just on the outskirts of downtown, in an industrial area. That part is kind of scary because there are trains to deal with, the roads around here have not been repaired in as long as I’ve been on earth and the general area seems to be in disrepair. Probably not a good idea to be around here by myself at night for sure.

I thought I was kind of familiar with the area, so I decided to venture out for lunch. I know there is a Subway over by the Red Cross Blood Bank. In my mind, that wasn’t too far from where I was, so I decided to try to find it. Well, the shortest distance between two points may be a straight line, but that is not the way I chose to go. Somehow I ended up back on the freeway just to get off at the next exit, and from there I found my way to Subway. Ok, not too bad.

My problem was coming back. The building that I am working in was not here when I tried to come back after lunch. Someone moved it on me! Somehow I spent over ½ an hour trying to find my way back.

Round and round I went. I’m not sure what I was looking for, but I sure wasn’t finding it. I only know how to get to the building where I am performing the audit from the freeway. I was on surface streets, and I was looking for a street that is only a few blocks long to begin with. Needless to say, I wasn’t finding it. Finally I gave up and decided the heck with it; I just needed to find the freeway again. It was a long way, but at least I knew how to find this street from there. And there are big green signs posted to tell you how to get to the freeway. Just as I started to implement this new plan, I recognized this crazy intersection. You stop at a stop sign, where your intersecting street is an off ramp from the freeway, and about 30 feet after the stop sign is a traffic light. There is actually a sign posted there that said “Obey traffic laws after stopping at the stop sign”. Gee. No kidding? What am I saying? At least I recognized that!

So one more time around the block, I had turned myself around and finally was on the right path. Sure enough, I saw the street sign for the street I needed. Holy crap. What a lunch hour.

From now on, I’m packing my lunch. No Subway sandwich is worth all this!

No comments: