Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Meet me at Rockne’s

I have a client down in the Akron area. Since she had a birthday recently, I called and told her I’d like to take her to lunch to honor her special day. We decided to meet at a place called Rockne’s, which has some of the best sandwiches around. Order their fish sandwich and it’s like getting a side of Moby Dick. It’s awesome!

We all know I’m directionally and geographically challenged. I don’t know my own area let alone the Akron area. Since Ron is originally from the Akron area, I deferred to him as which Rockne’s we would meet at.

He suggested the Rockne’s on West Market Street. So, I relayed that info to my contact. How can I screw up something so simple as “Rockne’s on West Market Street”. Well, I did screw it up!

We were supposed to meet there last Saturday afternoon at 1:30 p.m. Ron and I were even early, showing up about 1:15. I didn’t want to just sit in the car, so we decided to go inside and wait for her in the lobby. We waited. We waited. And we waited some more. Finally, about 1:35, the place is getting pretty busy, and the hostess suggests that we grab a table and she’ll send our third party back to us. Fine by me, I’m getting hungry!

Another ten minutes go by, we have appetizers ordered and still she hasn’t shown up. This is very unlike her as she has always proven to be either early or on time at the latest. It’s now 1:45 and still no sight of her.

I decide to go outside and check my phone. I had left my cell phone in the car, so I ran out to check for messages. Sure enough, there she was! She said she was AT Rockne’s, and she was asking where the heck we were! I called her back immediately, and said HEY! We’re at Rockne’s, where we’ve been for ½ hour now and where is she? She assured me she was at Rockne’s on West Market Street. I looked around, saw the street sign at the corner, and I assured her that we too, were at Rockne’s on West Market Street.

I had the bright idea that both of us should meet in the lobby. I was heading in from the parking lot and when I got to the lobby, she wasn’t there. On the phone she was assuring me that she WAS in the lobby and it was I that wasn’t there! Talk about the twilight zone!

Believe it or not, there are TWO - count them TWO- Rockne’s on West Market Street! In all fairness, one is actually in Akron and the one we were at was technically in Fairlawn. Who’d have thought though, huh?

Take this as a lesson. Don’t ever assume I know where I’m going or where I’m supposed to be!

No comments: