Tuesday, February 01, 2011

It's Snowed! Who Knew?

Yeah, not one of my better days here today.

Did anyone really expect all of that snow last night? I mean for real! Yes, I heard all over TV that we were going to get dumped on, but honestly, how many times have they said that and not meant it? At least in Lorain we seem to never get hit like they tell us we're going to get hit.

My day started this morning with my weigh in. I don't weigh in every day because it's too stressful, but I do get up there at least twice a week. I weigh myself on the Wii Fit since that seems to be a more accurate scale and it goes in smaller increments. Hey, sometimes a loss of 2/10 of a pound can make you feel pretty good!

I got it all set up, stepped on the scale when I was told and watched the little marker go up, up, up, UP. It said I GAINED over SIX pounds! No f-ing way! I mean I realize that your weight fluctuates day to day. Water weight, if you didn't have a bowel movement, it all adds up. But SIX freakin' pounds in a couple of days? Impossible! Then I looked down and saw that Benny was nice enough to climb on the scale with me. NOT funny! I better have a HUGE weight loss the next time I step on that scale or Benny is in big trouble.

Up until today, whenever I put the balance board on the floor, he walks all around it and then gets far away from it. It seemed as though the balance board scared him. I guess he got over it. When you stand on the balance board, you stand with your feet apart. There was enough room in between my feet for him to climb up and me not even feel him. This might cause me to chuckle right now but at 7:00 this morning, it was so not funny.

Then, time to get ready, after playing a little Pogo. Yeah, I know, I should have looked out the window. But, I was in denial.

Finally, I finished getting dressed, brushed my teeth and away I went. Downstairs, I got the fish fed and then got the food ready to take outside to Penelope. I was shocked when I opened the blind on the front door and saw how much snow was ON the porch. I don't usually get much snow ON the porch. I saw no cat prints so that was another surprise. In the morning, Penelope is usually waiting for me on the porch to bring her food to her.

It looked like a little bit of snow out there, so I ran to the basement and got our spare shovel. I thought I'd be nice and shovel out some of the front porch and maybe the front stairs so Penelope wouldn't have to sit in a pile of snow to eat. I usually just run out there with slippers on and no coat. I at least had the smarts to put my boots on and my coat.

I started to shovel the porch. Yeah, more snow than I thought. There had to be a good four inches ON the porch. Ok, I didn't shovel all of it, just from the door to the steps and over a bit to where I put her food. Then I figured I'd do the steps so she could get up to the porch. I really didn't think there was that much snow out there. I kept looked at the apron of the driveway and was talking myself out of the fact that it was really bad and you could tell because you could see all of the snow that the snow plow threw up into the apron. But I gotta tell you, the city of Lorain did a fabulous job at clearing at least the main roads this morning. My street was almost down to bare pavement, so again, that added to my illusion that nothing was wrong in my world. Well, by the time I got off of the steps, I realized that there was more than six inches of snow on the ground! WTF! How could they have been right about this?

I went back up on the porch, locked the front door and I went out the side door to start the driveway. First off, a text to my brother/boss telling him I was a dumb ass and that I now needed to start shoveling my way out of the driveway.

Usually when I shovel, I do the driveway and the parking pad where the guys park. Today I figured they were on their own as I'd be lucky to get all of that snow off of the driveway. It took me over an hour and a half to go from the garage to the street! My back is killing me! On the plus side, there is NO need to walk on the treadmill tonight! What a work out!

When I was still up by the garage, I looked across my neighbor's back yard. I can see through his back yard and into the yard of the neighbor on the other side of him. Guess who was in the second neighbor's yard? Penelope! She took one look at me and started meowing loudly! My poor girl was hungry! I looked at her and then I looked at the snow and my first thought was that I need to trudge through knee deep snow through two back yards to go get her and bring her to her food, or I can just go get the food, trudge through two back yards and take the food to her. Then I thought AM I NUTS?!?!? Sorry, Penelope, you're on your own. I love you, but even I gotta draw the line.

She sat there meowing at me for a bit but when she saw I wasn't doing anything about it, she turned around and walked away. Fickle! By the time I left, she still had not trudged through the snow to come for breakfast.

I've shoveled this driveway by hand numerous times before but not this much snow. What a work out. And the worse news is, there is more snow and ice coming. Get a good look now. This is what my 80 feet or so of driveway looked like after I was done. That was a lot of damn snow. There is more coming down.


I think I might give up on my dream of moving to Montana. I am getting too old for this crap. I have two dollars on tonight's Mega Million. C'mon numbers! If I win, I can guarantee you that will be my LAST time shoveling that driveway.

No comments: