Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The 411

So much little crap has been going on around here. Nothing was worth an entire blog but maybe I can put them all together into one big blog giving y'all the 411 on what's going on here.

I blogged recently about me and my car getting owies on the same day. Hitting the damn snow/ice bank was a $918 brain fart on my part. I know it's a seven year old car but geez, I thought it was still in good enough shape to spend the money to fix it. After just forking over my deductible, I'm not so sure. I hate spending money but I hate spending money on stupid things even more. This was a stupid thing. Oh well. I just got my car back today so no more Mike picking me up for work every day and then having Ron come pick me up. Thanks to both of you guys for giving a girl a ride though. It was much appreciated! I could sure get used to the chauffeured life!

As for my owie, maybe I did more damage than I thought. I thought I was ok after falling. My knee was a little sore to the touch but it didn't hurt to move it at all. However, a few days after the fall, my left foot went numb. Then most of my left leg. Now, my right foot is also numb. Yeah, that can't be good.

I did finally give in and go see my doctor. Right now all I have is a lot of "I don't know" from him. Judging from where my numbness travels, it sounds like sciatica. That's in the lower back (which I had fixed years ago) and not the mid back (where I now hurt). It could have happened in the fall, it might not have. Yeah, we're not sure what happened.

The first course of action was a round of steroids. I started with two pills a day for three days, then one pill a day for three days then a half a pill a day for two days. I only have one half of a pill left out of that and I have had absolutely no relief.

Plan B is to go in and have an EMG, or a nerve test. From what I hear, these tests are painful. Yeah, not something I'm looking forward to doing. But, it's a serious pain to have both of my feet numb. Well, actually it's not a pain since my feet are numb, but it does make day to day life a bit difficult. It's pretty damn hard to work the clutch when you can't feel your foot. In some ways, it was a blessing that I didn't have my car this week. Oh well. Back to reality. I need to be careful walking, going up and down the stairs and of course, driving. I have a follow up appointment with my doctor on Monday so I'll know more then about the damn EMG.

Now for Benny! This is the best part of the update!

I had Benny to the vet last night for his check up after surgery and to check on his litany of little issues. First off, he's up to a whopping SEVEN pounds, THREE ounces! He's huge!! As far as the surgery goes, he came through with flying colors. We have no problems from the neutering or the declawing. Cathie told me that by that weekend, you'd never know Benny had anything done. I didn't believe her that week but she was right. By Friday, he was close to 100%! Now, you'd never know anything had happened.

As for his other problems, he is finally done with the ring worm. The worms show up well on the black light and we put the black light on him and nothing. The pills finally worked better than the shampoo or the cream. I have one more day of pills to give him then he's done with that. Too bad since I'm getting really good at giving him his pills! There's a talent I hope I never need again.

The only issue we are still working on is the ulcer in his eye. His right eye is almost 100%. His left eye, you can still see the ulcer in there. We've had him on oral meds plus the eye gel almost since we found him! We just can't get this into remission. For now, I'll keep him on his eye gel and the vet has ordered him a new med of eye drops. Ugh, one day we'll get this beat too.

So there you go. The 411 on what's going on around here. Now, just to make me feel better, a gratuitous picture of Benny! This was the other night when he curled up on my lap. He loves to put his head in my hand and he believes that my hand is just there to support his head! Of course, I am trained so well, I will sit there and do just that for him! He wasn't thrilled with the flash going off in his face so I did get a little glare from him for my trouble. This little face always brings a smile to my face.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Don't you HATE the "let's try this, let's try that" approach to fixing your knee? Xray me or MRI me, whatever it takes to fix it instead of potentially causing more damage while they "practice" their medicine. The extra stress doesn't help, either.
I hope you feel better, but I really hope that you just start to feel something again soon.


hahahahaha - my word verification was "pudlystu" - I think I went out with him in high school! :-D