Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Things To Do Today:

Things to do today:

* Get up and go to work.
Check.
*  Pay some bills.
Check.
*  Make some phone calls.
Check.
*  Work on production schedule.
Check.
*  Spend a couple of hours in the emergency room.
Check.

WHAT??  Ok, that last one wasn't on my original list of things to do today but somehow it ended up on my list.

I was sitting there, working away.  I was working on a spreadsheet when suddenly, I got like a tunnel vision where the periphery of my vision all went black.  I suddenly really felt bad.  I was very dizzy.  The first thought in my head was that I thought I had been holding my breath.  Yes, I was working hard!  So I pushed myself back from my desk, took a couple of deep breaths and thought I'd be ok.

I sat there for a minute and convinced myself that if I just got up, went pee, I'd be ready to go back to my spreadsheet.  I got up, took one step and was happy I made it back to my chair before falling on my ass.  I was REALLY dizzy.

I sat there another minute.  The guys were in the next office when Dean popped into my office to say something to me and I guess I didn't look so good.  I told him I was just a bit dizzy and before I knew it Mike was in my office too.  I must really not have looked ok because Mike said right away that we were going to the ER.  Either he was driving me or calling an ambulance!  DANG, how badly did I look for crying out loud? 

I opted for a ride to the hospital but knew I'd never make it to the door.  I wish someone had a camera because Mike pushing me down the hall in my office chair had to be a sight!  They must be harder than you think to navigate based on the number of walls we hit!  I thought I was the dizzy one!

We made it to EMH in Elyria and I don't think we waiting very long.  I am dizzy and by now starting to feel nauseous.   I immediately was given an EKG, hooked up to a heart monitor, had blood drawn, given a chest x-ray and put on oxygen.  The immediate answer was that the EKG was fine, but they'd monitor my heart rhythm and wait for the results of the blood work and chest x-ray.

Heaven love my brother Mike, but as much as I tried to get him to go back to work, he wouldn't leave me.  You haven't lived until you have gotten to spend a few hours in the ER with him!  Trust me, we are WAAY to close as siblings, especially after this.  But, he did his job as big brother/boss and made sure to ask me if I was wearing clean underwear, then sat and watched judge shows on TV and even an episode of Grey's Anatomy before the doctor came back to tell me that there was NOTHING wrong with me.

The final diagnosis was "Near-Syncope" which means "Near-Fainting" due to a vasovagal episode.  Yeah.  Whatever.  Bottom line is I almost fainted and they have no idea why.  I feel MUCH better about it all now!

They did run a bunch of tests and I can tell you that I do NOT have a blood clot, my heart enzymes are perfect as are the rest of the results from my blood work.  I am the picture of health, just a little dizzy!  After laying there for a few hours watching TV, I felt much better.   Go figure.

This is chalked up to "one of those things".  It probably won't happen again.  But, if it does . . . go back to the ER.  How's that for definitely maybe.

Picture this, laying there on a heart monitor, on oxygen, when a woman from admitting comes in to tell me that my bill is $150 and she is there to collect payment!  For real??  I had to give her a check right then and there.  Ok, I could have done without THAT part, but aside from her, the rest of the staff was stellar.

And, at the end of the day, it cost me $150 to be told I was fine.  Ugh.  But after all the blood work and the rest of the tests on top of the physical I had with MY doctor on Monday, I guess I do have a clean bill of health.  And that was worth the price I paid.

And, Mike and I got to goof off for a few hours on a work day watching crappy day time TV.  And, I was allowed to take the rest of the day off.  Bonus for me!

The day may not have progressed like I thought it would, but at least it all came out ok in the end.


3 comments:

Georgia said...

Oh, Ree! That's not good. At least the doctors found out that you are OK. It might have to do something with a weak heart circulation system? Please rest and take another day off, my dear friend! Get well soon! I send you good vibes and lots of hugs from here! <3 <3 <3

Mark said...

Sorry to hear and glad to hear! I hope you know which one's which.

There's even a website for that:
http://www.vasovagal-syncope.com/

I thought maybe it was the result of doing Kegel exercises without taking a break.

Very glad you're OK!

Unknown said...

Georgia - thanks! I am MUCH better!!

Mark - that made Diet Pepsi come out of my nose!!!!

Now my brother says that the next time I want an afternoon off, I need to come up with a better excuse! I'm taking suggestions!