Monday, July 30, 2012

Sunday Adventure

Ron and I took a little ride yesterday into Elyria.  Ok, I wanted to make sure that if I did have to go for jury duty that I could find the building where I needed to be as well as the parking lot I needed that is like five blocks away from the parking lot. 

(By the way, Day 1 of jury duty and I do NOT have to show up yet.  One day down, fourteen more to go!)

So, as long as we were in downtown Elyria, I wanted to go to the waterfall behind the police station.  I've taken pictures there before and posted them, but it's really such a pretty place that I have more pictures to post again! 

This is the upper falls.  It was just a beautiful day yesterday.


I am standing a good 20 feet above the top of the falls here.  I happen to look to the right and was SHOCKED to see a giant fish!  Keep in mind, I'm like 20 feet up and I swear that fish was at least 18" long if not longer.  I know it's kinda hard to guess the size of a fish from so far away but trust me, it was HUGE.

 
My little camera amazed me by capturing this shot!  I leaned over the edge of the railing, turned the zoom on and hoped I caught the fish!  I believe it's a carp but I won't be offended if anyone tells me I'm wrong.  The next shot even captured a couple of coins on the rock next to the water.  Almost looks like the carp is looking for the money.


I think the picture will get bigger if you click on it.  One coin is on the crack almost even with his eye and the other one is even with the stick jutting out of the water.  I thought it was cool that I captured this! 

I saw a total of three huge fish.  This guy that was hanging by the edge of the rocks and there were two more that were over about 20 or 30 feet away from the falls.  The two of them would appear and then dive out of sight.  Then back up for my photo op and then back down. 


These two were easier to see in person as the photo really didn't come out so well.  But you get the idea.  Finally, we headed over to the other viewing platform to get  a shot of the upper and lower falls.


Then, looking to the left, down the river.


It was just such a pretty day. 

As I was standing here in the corner taking pictures, a fly landed on the railing.  As an homage to Mark, who is the BEST bug picture taker, I have "The Fly".


I know Mark would have zoomed in close enough to see the fly's toothy smile, but I at least got a shot in.

This is just one of my favorite spots in the area.  It's beautiful to sit there and just look at the waterfall, and every time I'm there I have my camera.  It's a fun place to shoot.  Go on over.  Tell the carp I sent you!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE such adventures. Glad to hear that you had such a good time. - Awesome fish!!!!

Mark said...

LMAO Thanks for the compliment!! I got a couple shots of flies just like that one the last time I was there. Same railing and everything. Big fan of the falls here, too!