Sunday, July 22, 2012

Day's Dam Saturday Walk

I talked Ron into taking a walk on Saturday.  We headed over to Day's Dam right here in Lorain Ohio.  I didn't think I had been there before, but some parts of the park were very familiar, like the giant cottonwood.  But, more on that below.

So, we went for a walk in the park.  It was a beautiful day and a beautiful trail.


We took one of the side trails that went to the giant cottonwood tree.  Here was the trail


and here was the tree.



You can't appreciate just how massive this tree is in pictures.  So, I asked Ron to stand next to the tree so you could get an idea.


That's a damn big tree!  As we were walking up the path (two pictures up) I was telling Ron that the only thing we were missing was the troll under the bridge.  Then, there it was!  In the picture with Ron, if you look over his head about six or seven feet, there was a troll face!  Ron thinks it's just the stump from a branch that was cut off at one time but whatever.  I know what I think it is and I think it's a troll's face!


The tree was huge.  And absolutely beautiful.  A giant cottonwood.  It's worth the side trip off of the main trail to go and see that.


Back on to the main trail, there were a ton of bird houses all along the trail.  Even trying to be quiet, we didn't see any birds.  Too bad as these little houses definitely looked like they were in move-in condition!


Then there was another little side trail that went to the waterfall. 


This is really one of the nicest MetroParks I've been to see.  Granted, we didn't get through all of it but what we saw, I loved it.


Finally we made it to the waterfall.  Unfortunately, there wasn't a good photo opportunity at this waterfall that didn't include wading in mud up to my knees!  So, from where the trail was dry, here is the waterfall.


Too bad the picture sucks because it really was beautiful!  Just to the left of where I took this picture, I saw what I thought was a giant snake climbing up a tree!  Ok, this is from the woman who sees a troll's face on the giant cottonwood! 


I'm still not sure what that was climbing up that tree, but I know now that it's not a snake.  I don't know if it's a root somehow or just a vine that snaked up the tree but for a second, it scared the heck out of me!

This was the best part of my weekend.  I'm going to have to try to talk him into more walks.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

These are so beautiful pics! Absolutely gorgeous! I've never seen such a giant cottonwood tree before. Must be another kind of those we have over here.
I hope you can talk Ron into more walks and maybe a picnic under this giant tree.

Anonymous said...

I thought I saw that troll head too. Just thought you would like to know.

Big Bro Phil

Unknown said...

I do need to talk Ron into more walks! It was a LOT of fun!!

And, thanks, Phil. I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing trolls! :)