Monday, July 16, 2012

Thanks for Calling, I Accept Your Invitation

Checking the mailbox is always a thrill for me.  You never know what will be there!  It could be a letter from Ed McMahon, it could be a card from Ojai or a care package from San Diego.  You just NEVER know what is in my mail box!

Saturday, it was a jury summons!  C'mon now, really?  You want ME??  Have you read my blog?  Have you heard about me?  And yet, you want ME!  Lorain County, you could be in big trouble here!

My first thought was "holy cow, I call myself a blogger!  How can I ever keep a secret if I get called to be on a jury?"  For real, have y'all ever known me to hold back with what is on my mind?  Some people say I over share.  Maybe I do, but this is my release.  Some days in writing down what has happened, it helps me put things into perspective in my mind.  Believe it or not, some times I even figure some things out by writing here.  Sorry for making you go through it with me!

This will be my biggest challenge.  If I get called to be part of a jury, how can I not blog about it until after the case if over?  Yes, a challenge indeed.  I have no filter between my brain and my mouth or in this instance between my brain and my fingers.  Perhaps, if I do get on a jury, I will have to pull the plug on my computer and leave it off until it's over.  Wish me luck!

Part of me says "it's about time!"  I may regret this down the road, but I've always wanted to see our process in person and not on Law and Order.  I have been a registered voter since I was 18 years old and have held a current and valid driver's license since I was 16 years old.  I'm not sure where else they go for a jury pool but you'd think I'd have been called a few times in the last 31 years.

Actually, I was called once for jury duty while I was living in Houston Texas.  I was never comfortable driving into downtown Houston so when I found out that your jury summons got you free public transportation, I jumped on that offer.  I caught a bus right in front of my apartment and it let me off like two blocks away from the court house.  Easy peasy.

I remember this one guy that was on the bus with me in the morning heading into downtown.  When I was standing on that same corner after jury duty to head home, that same guy was standing there waiting for a bus as well.  I don't remember all of the particulars, but he recognized me from the bus that morning and started up a conversation with me.

No big deal, you know how I talk to strangers.  So, we stood there chatting until the bus came.  When I got on the bus and sat down, this guy sat right down with me in a bus that was mostly empty.  Ok, I was a little uncomfortable but I didn't say anything.  We were talking after all so I guess it shouldn't be that weird, right?

Remember the warning we ladies were taught at an early age that if something feels wrong, it IS wrong?  I should have remembered that lesson.

On the bus on the way home, we're sitting there.  I had a dress on that day and luckily an umbrella in my hand.  Suddenly, he bent down, and ran his hand up my leg from my freakin' ankle!  Are you serious?  I don't remember exactly what I said to him but it had to do with "are you crazy" with outside voice and my umbrella raised.  I think he knew this woman was serious because he got right up out of the seat and RAN to the door, trying to get out of the bus before it even stopped!  Yeah, my brother.  I have an umbrella and I'm NOT afraid to use it!

So, that was my jury duty experience.  I never got out of the jury room and talked to no one and was out of there by noon that day.  So, my only story about being called for jury duty is the pervert I met on the bus!

This time I have to be available for THREE weeks for jury duty.  At least I can call in every evening to find out if I actually have to show up at the Justice Center or whatever they call it.  Hopefully this time I have a better story than a pervert on a bus.  Here's just hoping I can keep my mouth shut when I have to until I can blog about the story!

If the thought of ME being on jury duty doesn't scare all of the miscreants straight, nothing will.  Look out Lorain County, I have accepted your invitation and I am appearing for duty!

2 comments:

Georgia said...

Ha ha, right, hit him with your umbrella! I can imagine how you raised the umbrella.
Unbelievable, I don't understand what there is going on in the minds of such perverts!
But grown up women like us aren't afraid of such men. We are strong!

Unknown said...

I am now, that's for sure! I was definitely not afraid that day to show him the business end of that umbrella!!

:)