Sunday, July 01, 2012

Fifty Shades of You Gotta Be Kidding Me

There is a new book series out that is getting a lot of press.  I have heard a lot about this book and wanted to read it for myself to see if it was worth all the hype it was receiving. 

Fifty Shades of Gray by E. L. James is one of the hottest selling books on the market right now.  It is being estimated that this author is bringing in $1 million a WEEK off of this trilogy.  When does this madness stop?

I don't think I am naive, and I understand that there are alternative lifestyles.  I used to be a believer of what happens behind closed doors between two consenting adults is their business.  This book has caused me to rethink that philosophy.

Fifty Shades of Gray has to do with a young college student (who happens to be a virgin) meets through business circumstances this young twenty something billionaire who is seriously into BDSM. Of course they "fall in love" and this is her introduction into a sexual relationship. 

Let me set the scene here.  He shows her a contract that he wants her to sign.  A contract that states something along the lines that he is allowed to "train" her in any way he decides.  Any time she displeases him in ANY manner, he is allowed to punish her.  The contract states just what implements are allowed and what aren't.  To the writer's credit, she at least stipulated in this fictional contract that animals and children would not be allowed in their sexual escapades.  Great, no dogs or kids in bed, but please, beat me.  Then tell me how much I'm going to like it.  He tells her what she can wear, where she can go, what she can do.  She has to sign the contract that states how often she will work out with a trainer of his choice, and this list goes on and on and on.

I guess I have a serious issue with this book and can't understand the legions of women getting behind the wave of publicity and making this author beyond rich.  I'm all about some well written smut but when it's interspersed with this woman getting beaten, I just can't support that.  I read this book up to her first beating and that was enough.  I should have stopped after reading the contract but it was a train wreck that I couldn't look away from.  At least until the first beating happened.

Maybe just because I've been there, done that, got the t-shirt and the scars.  It took me years to realize that it is NOT ok for a man to beat me.  It took me years but at least I did get there.   How many women are still living that life?  How many can't or won't get out of an abusive relationship?  And I'm supposed to accept it as a fetish for sexual release?  Can't do it.  I will not support it, I will not condone it.

Call me a prude.  But I will never agree with the idea, even in fiction, that it's ok to hit a woman.  Ever.

2 comments:

Georgia said...

Absolutely! Women and men are equal in their rights. Nobody is allowed to commit violence against another person, every person has got a free will. Thanks for sharing, dear Ree! I think I don't need to read the book, saved me some money. It annoys me that the author gets rich by writing such crap. This makes me totally angry.

Mark said...

What's really whack is that so many people are buying it. Lots of folks with repressed desires? Folks living fantasies through the book? Kinda scary.