Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Thank You! That Was Mighty Neighborly!

Tuesday I came home from work and all was well.

A few hours later, Ron and I are sitting on the porch while he's having a cigarette and I see just to the north of my house, in the north bound lane of traffic, a HUGE groundhog.  A huge DEAD groundhog.  Yuck.  That was NOT there when I had come home from work that day.

Part of me wanted to rush over and take pictures for the Lorain 365 blog, but lucky for you, I have been working on editing my thought process!  I'm sure all of our readers there will be so happy about that.

Even though there are no pictures of this huge dead groundhog, it was a train wreck (and almost a few car wrecks!) in the street.  North bound cars were swerving to avoid the hit and every time a car went by, I couldn't do anything but watch it go by, waiting for a direct hit.  I could NOT look away.  As much as I was telling myself that I did NOT want to see that groundhog get flattened, I just couldn't look . . . away.  It was horrible.

Finally, Ron suggested I leave my post on the front porch and go into the house and quit watching for the inevitable smooshing of the groundhog.  Fine.  That was probably a good idea.

Into the house we went and upstairs to the office.  I turned on m computer, turned on the TV and guess what?  All I could see is that damn groundhog!  I had such a good view of it from out the office window!  Again, Ron had the good idea of shutting the blinds on the window thus forcing me to QUIT LOOKING but that would have been too easy.  Besides, there is a cat perch on the window ledge and the cats like to get up there and look out which is why the shade is up.  I didn't want to close it on the cats!  (Besides, I was still waiting for that smooshing.  Ugh.)

Then one of the neighbor kids stepped up and took care of it. By kids I mean teenager, or at least he looked like a teenager to me.  You know the older you get the younger they look.  Anyway, he grabbed a long stick and kinda rolled that groundhog off of the street and over into the tree lawn across the street.  I can still see him there, but he's not as mesmerizing to look at now that he's not in the middle of the street.

So thank you, neighbor!  You saved me from putting a spot light on that ground hog so I could watch all night long until someone hit that poor thing again!

Then there is tonight.  It's now a group sport, coming to look at this groundhog.  First were three kids, maybe preteens.  The boy I think was trying to look macho in front of the two girls.  He actually took a picture of the poor dead animal and then proudly proclaimed "this is now my facebook status!".  Can you say "ewwww!!"  The two girls tried to poke it with a stick then ran screaming. 

Then, there was the father and daughter who were so fascinated with this poor rigor mortis filled dead groundhog that he actually had to pull over in the alley and get out to go LOOK at the groundhog with his little girl.  Ah, it made my heart warm that little family moment.  By the way, he also took pictures of the dead groundhog.

Why oh why did I pick NOW to start editing my brain?  I so should have gone out to take a picture and post it on the blog.

Hmm...it IS still light outside . . .

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Eeeewwww...I can deeply understand how you felt about this poor dead thing. The way you write about it is so funny that I sat in front of my screen with a big, big smile on my face all the time. I saw you in front of my inner eye how you tried to cope with that unpleasant view. I hope it's out of your sight this morning.

Lisa said...

OMFG Ree! NO roadkill on Lorain365!
That's why we have our own blogs!

Tomorrow's gonna be another 90 degree day. Maybe you should stay home and keep an eye on the critter. It might explode in the heat, which has gotta be way better than seeing it get flattened.

And I'd just like to say that "inevitable smooshing of the groundhog" would make a great band name.