Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Unwelcome Guest

Sunday night, Ron and I were in the computer room, playing Pogo. What else, huh?

He went up in the attic for a cigarette. Across the room from the attic door is my desk.

It was cold Sunday night, and usually he shuts the attic door so the cold air doesn’t come to the computer room. But, we were yakking about something, so he left the door open so we could continue our conversation.

Then, a call of nature became a sudden emergency! I yelled up the stairs that I had to pee, I’d be right back! As soon as I got across the hall into the bathroom, I hear Ron coming down the stairs. He gets into the computer room and he said something to the effect of “oh darn” but maybe not that clean.

I am in the middle of something and can’t go running out right away. I do ask him what’s wrong, but he won’t answer me. The best I get is he tells me that I don’t want to know. Nothing good can come out of that statement!

I hurried as fast as I could to finish up, and I make it to the bathroom doorway as Ron is walking out of the computer room and heading down the steps. He is holding his coffee cup upside down with a CD held over the bottom of the cup. Hmm. What comes to mind here?

It can’t be a spider, because Ron kills them for me. A mouse maybe? Crap, I hope not. What is it? I am starting to freak out as I hear Ron walk out the front door with whatever he has in that cup.

A minute later, he is back upstairs after freeing this squatter and I am trying not to panic. WHAT??? Finally he tells me that it was another bat! Oh crap! Ron thought he had all the holes plugged that it could have come in through. Obviously the bat found another hole or made one.

This is a bad enough story if it were to stop here, but no! I asked Ron just where the bat was. All the other bats had been found in the attic. This brave bugger actually went for the warmth! Ron found him on the floor of the computer room, about two feet from my chair!

People, trust me on this one. Had I been sitting there when that damn bat came into the room, or if I’d seen it when I got up to pee, anyone within reading distance of this blog would have heard me scream before I had a heart attack!

My full bladder just may have saved my life!

No comments: