Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Now That’s Service

I’ve been living out of hotels.

One thing that hotels all have in common is the alarm clock. They are not top of the line, but they generally get the job done.

Some hotels have a different kind of alarm clock in every room. Others, like the one I’m in now, have the same make and model in every room. I like the continuity of the same clock, no matter which room I’m in.

I believe they do try to make the clocks as idiot proof as possible. I mean after all, even people like me have to be able to use them! The ones at this hotel have nice clear directions printed right on the clock. As easy as 1 – 2 – 3.

1 – press this button to start the process of setting the alarm
2 – press this button to set the time of the alarm, it goes forward and backward
3 – press this button to accept the time chosen in step 2 and turn on the alarm

Easy!

There are even five preprogrammed buttons on top of the clock, with picture goodness, for the stations programmed into the clock. If you are one of those that like to listen to the radio at night, this is a no brainer feature. There is talk radio, easy listening, rock, etc. all at the push of a button so you don’t have to run up and down the channels looking for what you want. See? Idiot proof.

Except for this idiot.

I decided I like the alarm clock feature that comes on my phone. But, a back up alarm is always a good thing since I am not a morning person. I set the hotel alarm clock about 10 minutes ahead of my phone alarm, and between the two, it gets me going in the morning.

Monday night, I took my shower and was getting ready to call it a night. It was then that I realized the clock in the room was 12 minutes slow. Now, a fast clock is ok, but there is just something wrong with a slow clock. My mind would never adjust to that one. I thought I’d just update the clock to the right time before I set the alarm. Shouldn’t be that difficult, right? Especially with the 1 – 2 – 3 buttons marked for setting the alarm!

I looked and looked and looked. I had the alarm clock facing forward, facing backwards, even upside down. I could find no button that was marked to set the time. I tried pushing every button on there. I even tried some combinations. Finally after ten minutes with no success, I just decided that I was too tired to figure this out, and perhaps it wasn’t as idiot proof as I thought. So, I did what most women would do, I called the front desk for instructions on how to set the time on the alarm clock.

As unbelievable as this sounds, the front desk actually told me that the only way one could set the time on the alarm clocks was to have the maintenance personnel do it! Excuse me? Is setting the time some sort of State secret now? Why not call Homeland Security! It’s the time viewed in MY room only for crying out loud!

She asked if I’d like maintenance to come up right away to set the time on my alarm clock for me. Based on the level of my undressed condition, I said I’d pass on that option.

What is this world coming to? How spoiled do they really want me to be? Room service can deliver a crappy meal to me any time I want it. Maintenance will come up to set my alarm clock. Now I just need to know the number I can call to get a back rub before bedtime. Now THAT would be service.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, if you know that the clock is 12 minutes slow, why not set the time back the same amount of time so that it does actually wake you up at the correct time? Would have saved maintenance coming up in the middle of the night. LMFAO Isn't it great to arm chair quarterback the day after? Sorry Ree!