Friday, February 16, 2007

Nature vs Nurture

There is an old debate. What forms us? Nature or nurture? Are we what we are by happenstance, by what is in our DNA or is it molded by outside sources? Do the people around us make us more nuts than we normally would be? Gosh I hope that's it.

Some people entertain the idea that I'm not all there. Ok, based on some of the blogs I've posted, how can I argue with that? But I have started looking around me and I realize that it might not be all of my fault. Look at all the craziness around me.

First, here is an idiot dancing naked in a snowstorm in downtown Cleveland in freezing temperatures. I couldn't make up anything this funny!! Is it something in the water around here? Maybe lake gasses coming in during the night?

Now, you might say that Cleveland is too far away, being a whole 30 minutes or so down the road. Let's move a little closer to home then.

Take a good look at this picture. Notice anything funny?

This picture is taken only a few blocks from our house. When we moved in and this intersection was noticed, I couldn't believe what I saw. In case it's not sinking in, (I know it's not the best picture) but this intersection has a stop sign AND a red light.

People trying to justify this redundant situation say things like "well, the light is new, so the city just didn't take the stop sign down yet until people are used to the light". Hmm. We've lived here three years now. There is still a red light at the intersection with a stop sign.

I have a few questions: If the light is green, do I have to stop for the stop sign? If the light is green and I don't stop, can I get a ticket for running a stop sign? Ponderous. I solved the dilemma by not going through this intersection.

People wonder why I am a few fries short of a happy meal. Look around me! Craziness is everywhere!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As I started to read this one, I started to think I was reading a script from PBS. What was going on? Took me a minute to get on the right page. lol Must be the lake gasses thing, or just mind is slow from the weather of late on Lake Erie.