Tuesday, October 03, 2006

So, what’s new?

Let’s see. Ron was in California recently for some training at the corporate office. The company, in my opinion, spent a lot of money for nothing. The day they were to spend training, his boss, the trainer, ended up in the hospital. He tested positive for the e-coli virus thought to come from eating fresh spinach. Not good.

As a side note, I TOLD my Mom years ago that spinach could kill a person. She didn’t believe me then and made me eat it. Finally, I get to say “I told you so”! Now if someone would just prove it about peas, I’d truly be vindicated.

Since he’s been back, I’ve been working an audit that is a long drive every day. It takes me about one hour and 15 minutes each way, and that’s with no accidents. I am out of the house by 6:30 in the morning and I’m happy if I’m back home by that time of the evening. This is too many hours in a car each day. Unfortunately, the next audit will be just as long if not longer. Bummer.

Last week was brother Michael’s birthday. He and Mary Jane bestowed on us the honor of celebrating with them. It’s tougher to celebrate once you hit that over 50 mark, huh, Mike? I know he said something about wishing this was happening on the weekend and not on a school night. He couldn’t handle his tequila as well on a Thursday night as he could have on a Friday night! And, the party pooper wouldn’t let me call the waiter for the customary birthday sombrero! C’mon now! What’s a birthday with out that?!! Happy birthday, my brother!

We went to a clam back this past Saturday. I learned something there. I learned that I don’t like clams. Nor do I care for mussels. Glad I paid to go to a clam bake, huh? Actually, Ron paid, but still! At least I had back up food. The cost of the ticket really did buy a bonanza. You started with a small salad, roll and butter, baked sweet potato, corn, then for the entrees - a steak, a chicken leg and thigh, then the dozen clams and dozen mussels. Even without the seafood, I was stuffed. The food was good and Ron got extra clams and mussels, so he’s not complaining!

See? A whole lotta nothing to report here.

I’m ready for the fall. I think this is my favorite time of year. I love the weather getting cooler even if it means my heating bills go higher. I did turn the furnace on for a few hours over the weekend. It was almost a necessity. It was a bit chilly here in the mornings, but once we got by that, it warmed up nicely. That puts me in the mood for fall food.

We went for groceries over the weekend, and I went nuts in the gourd aisle. I have an acorn squash that I’m not sure when I’m going to cook it. I got a spaghetti squash that will be baked and mixed with butter, onion and garlic tonight, with an added veal patty and we’re calling it dinner! Ron’s never had spaghetti squash before so I’m excited about making it for him. To top off my gourd excursion, I also have a butternut squash that I have the perfect recipe (I hope) for an awesome butternut squash roasted garlic bisque. Should be some interesting dinners this week at our house. Now if we don’t come down with e-coli or botulism or something fun like that after a week of my cooking, all will be right with the world.

No comments: