Monday, October 30, 2006

With Any Luck, I Can Hear You Now

I've been with Verizon Wireless since I first bought a cell phone. The feature that sucked me into their plan was the fact that after a two year contract, they gave you up to $100 towards a new phone. I do love free. I think so far, I've gotten three free phones thanks to Verizon.

I was up for another free phone and kept procrastinating shopping for one. The closest Verizon Wireless store is perpetually understaffed. I will not wait for a half an hour to spend money in that store. Then I figured that I could pick out a phone ON line instead of waiting IN line at the store. The only downside to that was I didn't have an employee standing in front of me explaining all of the buttons.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Anything with an O.N./O.F.F button, I can usually work that part. Anything beyond that and I'm lost. I didn't want a lot of bells and whistles so I took one of the easiest phones I could find. Or, so I thought.

One upgrade this phone has is a speaker phone. I did like that part. The night I got my phone, I called my good friend Maura to tell her all about it. I told her about the speaker phone feature and she wanted to hear how that sounded. I moved the phone from my ear and turned it this way and that, looking for the button that would make it happen. I couldn't find it. What did happen though was in turning the phone this way and that, I dropped the phone. Luckily, it fell on the dining room rug.

A surprising thing happened. The speaker phone was turned on during the fall! Go me! What a cool feature. So Maura and I finished our chat and I closed the flip part of the phone to hang it up. Life was good in my eyes.

A few hours later, brother Jim called me. I lifted the flip of the phone to answer the call only to find out the phone was still on speaker phone! Dang, that's not good! Do you have any idea how big the freakin' book is that came with the phone? I will never read through that big book, so I was hoping for user friendly.

I finished my conversation with Jim on speaker phone then handed it over to Ron to figure out how to shut that feature off. I think I have that part figured out now.

Every night I am transferring phone numbers over to the new phone. I didn't realize I knew that many people. It seems to be taking me forever. I'm hoping by the end of this week to have that task finished.

If anyone decides to call me in the near future, bear with me. I have answering the phone down pretty well. I can make a call if the number is programmed in ok, but anything else is not going so well. If you leave a voicemail and I don't call you back by the end of the day, you better call me again. There is probably some kind of technical difficulties on my end.

Can you hear me now?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW, OR DO I NEED A LARGER FONT? YA STOLE MY LINE BEFORE I COULD TYPE IT IN WITH YOUR CLOSER. GOOD LUCK!

Anonymous said...

Gee, when I went to the Verizon store to get my newest phone, they plugged my old phone and my new phone into a small box, and like magic, they transferred all my phone numbers from the old machine to my new machine. The only thing I did not get transferred, was my old ring tones. It seems my new phone has a newer type of ring tone, and I must learn the new rings for my callers.