Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Dance With Me

One of my sicknesses is reality television. I’m ok with that, I could have worse habits.

One of my new favorite shows is Dancing With The Stars. You take a dozen or so celebrities and pair them with real champion ballroom dancers and call it a show. The celebrities have to learn all of the ballroom dances from their partner and each week they dance. There are usually two different dances done each week, with half of the dancers doing one dance and the other half doing the other. A panel of three professional ballroom dance judges gives them scores from one to ten with a top possible score of thirty. That score combined with a public vote via cell phone or internet rates the dancers and the dance team with the lowest score goes home.

I’ve learned a whole lot of new terms watching this show. I know about holding your form, about staying on your toes, head back, the Tango, the Mamba, the Jive, The Waltz, etc. Yes, I love this show. It scares Ron because now I get a crazy idea that WE need to take dance lessons! I think he’s rather eat razor blades followed by drinking unsweetened lemonade before dancing, but a girl can hope.

One of the contestants is none other than talk show host Jerry Springer. He’s not the best hoofer out there, but he’s having a ball and that makes him fun to watch. When the show started, he said that he couldn’t dance. His goal was to last long enough on the show to learn the Waltz. His daughter is getting married soon, and he really wants to Waltz with her at her wedding.

Last night, was his chance. He ended up dancing a Waltz with his partner. Was it the best Waltz I’ve ever seen? No, but being a Daddy’s girl myself, watching him break from his dance partner at the end of the number and go right to his daughter and hug her for all he’s worth left me in tears. I wasn’t the only one left without a dry eye. His dance partner, his daughter, and half of the other dancers were also in tears, as well as a judge or two.

I am a sucker for a good cry.

Now for my prediction for tonight's show – Sarah Evans, you got to go, girl. Dancing is not your forte.

No comments: