Friday, March 31, 2006

Mental Health Day

Ok, don't tell anyone, but I played hooky yesterday. I took what I like to call a "Mental Health Day" or "Dammit, I Feel Too Good To Go To Work Today" day.

I woke up ok. Even had some cereal for breakfast. That's as far as it went. I remained in my recliner, with the remote control in hand. There has to be some way I can make a living just doing this. I ran up all the channels, I ran down all the channels. Next thing I knew, it was ten minutes to eight! I have a 45 minute drive to work in the morning, so I figured there was no way I was making it in on time. I called in to tell my boss I was a little under the weather. I said if I could only lay down for a little while longer, I was sure I'd be feeling better. I said I'd be in between 10 and 10:30. Yes, I was that delusional to think that I was going to get a spurt of energy and actually hit the shower, pull on the pantyhose and get dressed and drive my 45 minutes to go to work. Part of me thought I'd just go in late.

Well....then I finally made my way upstairs and started playing Pogo. Damn that website. There I was, looking all cute in my new night shirt, hair pulled back in a pony tail, and I figured this was it for me today. I turned on some trash TV and played Pogo. Just before my expected due to work time rolled around for the second time, this time I chickened out and e-mailed my boss. Told him I wasn't feeling any better after all, and I wouldn't be in. I figured I couldn't out and out lie to him twice in one day.

I stayed in my night shirt (did I mention I was looking really cute in it??) and absolutely goofed off all day long. It was WONDERFUL! I was so bad, that Ron even let me beg off worrying about dinner. He handled everything, and let me tell you, it was a feast fit for a queen. The hardest thing I had to do all day was to refill my coffee cup.

If you have never done this, or even if you have and it's been awhile, I highly recommend it. I still feel the same way about my job, but at least my goof off day yesterday is making it a little more palatable today.

TGIF!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, us government workers come upon even this kind of day once in a while. I totally feel as relaxed as you did, but I did not have anyone to make dinner for me. I hope you enjoyed your day off, I know I enjoy mine when I get a chance to take one of once in a while.