Friday, March 24, 2006

Speechless No More

Ok, I blog that I have nothing to say. Then the flood gates open. Now I have a few things to yak about! Tonight though, I'll just start with one topic.

I try not to talk too much about work, but today was a doozy of a day.

The building we work in is on a very busy and crazy five lane street. The traffic is horrendous and some days just getting out of the parking lot is a test of driving skill. I hate going there.

Today, about 1:30 in the afternoon, we heard screeching tires followed by a little thud followed by a huge CRASH. Of course,we all ran to the windows to see the carnage. Turned out, the joke was on us.

Two of the people in our office, namely my boss and our regional sales manager, had their cars totaled in our parking lot. Yes, totaled.

The street in front of our building goes east and west. The parking spots are in front of our building, our cars facing the street, parked facing north and south. An SUV was heading east on our street, and the 18 year old driver wasn't paying attention and also going approximately 70 mph in a 35 mph zone. He bumped up against a semi, causing the semi to slam on his brakes. While trying to get his car under control, he bumped into the semi again, causing his SUV to veer out of control, hit the curb and go airborne. His landing strip was my boss' car and our sales manager's car. Their two cars which were facing north and south ended up facing east and west and moved a good five feet. It was unbelievable.

Luckily, no one was hurt. The driver walked out of his vehicle under his own power. Four vehicles involved, the semi drove away when all was said and done, and three other vehicles were totaled and had to be towed away.

I said before I've been in a funk. This might have knocked me out of it. Where my boss was parked, was where I usually park. But, I got there before he did this morning, so I took his parking spot and he ended up in mine. That could have been my car totaled. I was right next to them, but luckily untouched. Woulda, coulda, shoulda. If only. Five minutes sooner. About 20 minutes before the accident, the sales manager and I walked through the parking lot to go for a little walk. We could have been standing right there. If only.

The bright spot of this was one of the rubberneckers that was trying to catch all of the gory details in our parking lot, decided not to watch where he was going and failed to notice the traffic light 200 feet away from our building had turned red. He ran right into the back end of a car stopped at the redlight. Dumbass. Oh well. Police were on the scene anyway, so one of them just walked to the corner and filled out another report.

And how was your Friday??!!

No comments: