Saturday, March 04, 2006

Hi, Honey! I'm Home!

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I am home.

Yesterday was actually a good day, too. I've finished a lot of audits in the last 2-1/2 years I've been with this company. The last day onsite is usually hectic as can be, making sure everything is finished and packed up. Few things seem to go right that day and like I said, it's just hectic.

We talked about finishing up this audit. I said we should stay as late as we needed to on Thursday to finish up as much as possible so that Friday would be an easy day. Once we're offsite, we can't exactly say "oh wait! One more thing!"

Thursday went easier than expected, and we finished up about 6:00 p.m. packing up a lot of our files and equipment to take back to the hotel to pack into our suitcases. We joked that we wondered what time earlier flights left that we may actually be done early! I looked on Continental's website and saw that there was a 12:05 p.m. flight and a 1:40 p.m. flight before our regular 4:05 p.m. flight. We though, nah. We'll never make either of those.

Come Friday, checked out of the hotel and headed onsite at 7:00 a.m. We putzed around and suddenly realized, hey! We really are DONE! We boxed up the rest of the files to check onto our flight, we checked the website again and found there were eight seats left open on the 12:05 p.m. flight! No way! We thought if we made sure we got there early enough, we might be able to grab a couple of those seats!

We finished up, said our good byes and even got some hugs. And we were off. Things don't always go the way I hope, so I was afraid to get too excited about getting on an early flight. I called Ron to let him know there might be a change of plans, and to be ready just in case!

Sure enough, we get to the ticket counter, and the ticket counter gods gave us a great ticket agent. Since the earlier flight was a higher priced fare, the ticket agent had to do some magic in order to let us sneak on for the same price as our original ticket! I do love Continental employees!

I called Ron and let him know we were on board the early flight, due into Cleveland at 2:20 p.m. How sweet is that? We took off on time, had a smooth flight and a smooth landing. We must have had a great tail wind because we pulled into the gate 25 minutes early! That almost never happens! My luggage came off that flight in one piece, as did our box of files. Yes, all in all, a great day.

Ron and I went and had a nice late lunch together then a quiet night at home. And let me tell you, like the line in the movie, there's no place like home.

No comments: