Friday, October 14, 2005

Dean Koontz

I have been very lucky with my last few choices from the library. Well, with the story line choices anyway.

I am anal retentive in everything I do, even reading a book. When I read, I don't like to put the book down unless I am at a proper stopping point. My favorite stopping point is the end of a chapter. Some people I know, will stop reading at the end of any sentence or maybe paragraph. I can't do that. I like to read at lunch at work, so when my hour is up, I try to reach the end of a chapter. Reading before bedtime, same thing.

Well, Dean Koontz has really messed with my feng shui. As mentioned above, lunch is only an hour! Bedtime has to come sooner rather than later when your alarm clock starts blaring at 5:00 a.m. Dean Koontz has single handedly made me take a loooong lunch as well as not get enough sleep at night. Yes, I've said it. I am holding him personally responsible.

To justify my stance on his responsibility, just take a gander at how he's ended some of the paragraphs of the last book I finished, Life Expectancy.

End of Chapter 6: "He shot Lionel Davis in the head."
End of Chapter 8: "Checking his wristwatch, the maniac said, "This has taken too much time. I've got a lot of research to do before the explosions start."
End of Chapter 9: "In time, the premonition eventually proved true, and nothing I did was able to alter the trajectory of the bullet."
End of Chapter 10: "The maniac brightened at the sound. "That'll be Honker and Crinkles. "You'll like them. They have the explosives."
End of Chapter 18: Punchinello shot Honker in the chest, Crinkles in the back, then pumped two more rounds into each of them as they thrashed, screaming, on the floor."

Get the idea? The end of a chapter should close a thought or a section, put it to bed so the next chapter could start a new idea fresh. Not in this book! Cliffhangers at almost every turn! What's that about?!! Yes, I took long lunches and yes, I lost sleep. It was worth every page turning moment!

No comments: