Wednesday, October 05, 2005

All I Want for Christmas is my GPS

What a day.

I finished the audit at the hospital yesterday and today I was on to a new audit. This client is a client we audit every year. This is my third year working with them. The first two years however, they were located downtown. This year, they moved to a relatively new building that is much easier for me to get to! That part I like a lot.

The building is huge, bright, colorful, and I was foolish enough to have the opinion that it would be cool working there. After my first day there, I'm rethinking my opinion. Y'all know I get lost turning around, I have absolutely no sense of direction.

The entire place is full of cubicles. Ok, that's not unusual in this day and age. However, these cubicles are the short cubicles; the walls are only about waist high. That means there are no real "walls". Everything looks the same. You see from one end of the building to the other. I was so confused!

Today, I'm sitting there working and what am I hearing? Country music. Loud country music. Now, it is not my intent to offend any country music fans. I just don't happen to be one of them. At first I thought someone's radio was turned way up. Until I made a trek to the ladies room. Then I realized that the music could be heard everywhere. It was coming from speakers in the ceiling. It was EVERYwhere! What the heck is that about? Finally, I asked someone who is the country music fan. I was told that the music changes every week. Sometimes classical, sometimes oldies, sometimes country. How innovative! Muzak at work. And, cycling the music every week, everyone gets to hear their favorite station at some point.

One more story about my day. Like I mentioned already, this place is truly a sea of cubicles. I made the mistake of going to the ladies room which seems to be in the next county. While walking back, I realized I was lost. Can you believe it? I couldn't find my cubicle! I searched and searched and searched! I finally saw someone I knew and had to ask directions! How embarrassing is that!

Luckily, it was pointed out that all of the cubicles are numbered. Just like leaving downtown, the numbers get bigger the farther away from the bathroom you get. Duh. That did make it a little easier. I swear, things like On*Star were made for people like me! Either that, or I'm sticking a big white flag up where my cubicle is so I can find my way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! You stole my song for the week! Although, leon has gone away, it was still my song.

Unknown said...

Um....er.....ah....ok, I just "borrowed" your song! Thanks, bro!