Wednesday, April 13, 2011

That Was Ugly

I have been in an emotional tail spin. The cats are NOT getting along and it is absolutely killing me. I know, I'm being ridiculous. But that doesn't change how I feel about the whole thing.

Considering that Penelope has been living on the street for awhile, she seems to have no street sense. Benny chases her, then she gets into a position where Benny can get on top of her or trap her somewhere. Then he wails on her with his front paws and then starts biting her.

I know nothing about nothing about cats, but I don't think he's being malicious, I think he's just being a kitten. The fact that she tries to take refuge somewhere that he can get at her like that kills me. The growls and hisses and screeches that come out of her are heart breaking. When I feel his biting gets to be too much, I grab him away, and then take her to the safety of the basement. I've gone back to locking her in the basement for what is in my mind, her own protection. This is no way for her to live. Everyone tells me that they will work it out, but I just don't know if it can happen fast enough for me. It's been two weeks already for crying out loud.

I know, so much drama and it's all about cats. My life should be so simple, huh? Anyway, the other night it go so bad, Benny got locked in the bathroom until I could get her corralled and back to the basement. Trust me, once he's been after her, she wants nothing to do with any of us! It's like WWIII at our house some days!

Is this my fault for trying to throw them together too quickly? I had their litter boxes side by side in the basement and their food bowls side by side in the dining room. Too much? I really have NO idea what the hell I am doing and some days it is more apparent than others. It's like I need a babysitter to come hold my hand and tell me how to take care of these creatures and what is acceptable behavior for them and what is not. I'm clueless.

All I know is that when I'm here, all hell seems to break loose. When I'm at work, Ron tells me that the cats are getting along pretty well. I think he lies to me! Then he sent me these pictures the other day.

First is Benny, laying in Penelope's place on the window seat.


Not to be outdone, we have Penelope laying on Benny's (actually, Ron's!) chair.


They look so calm, so cool. Then I come home and look out! Time to fight! Then, after an evening of chasing Penelope around the house, here is Benny. He is not stretching, he is sleeping along my leg, just laying there all out. It's a tough day for the poor guy after all.


The thought came to mind the other day that maybe this is not meant to be. I didn't rescue her just to have her live her life in fear and agony. That's not fair. So I started the process of finding another home for Penelope, putting the word out to family and friends to see if any one could take her in. I have the number for the Friendship APL (a no-kill shelter) in my back pocket, I just can't bring myself to call them yet.

Every time I think of getting rid of one of them, I totally lose it. I have cried more this week than I have in a looooong time. Yes, over cats. Cats. Stray cats. I am an emotional wreck!

So, last night, I said to Ron that he needs to take me out and get me drunk! For real, THIS is the time he picks to listen to ME!

We went to Mezcal Tequila over by the Midway Mall. People, people, this place is fantastic! Their food is more TexMex, not authentic Mexican. That is why I like it more than most Mexican places we go. Plus, their margaritas are to die for! I feel like I'm dying today, but whatever!

We ate and I drank. And, drank. And, I think I drank some more. There is nothing uglier than a drunk woman but man o' man, that was me last night. Thanks to Ron for taking care of me and getting me to and from the car and into the house last night. I can't remember the last time I drank and today I remember all too well why I don't do it more often!

First, I need to thank Ron again for helping me through last night. Then, I need to apologize to my friends, David and Edna, for all of the drunk texting/calling/emailing that was going on last night! I'm sorry! Nothing uglier than a drunk woman!

Other than being hung over, I still don't have the answers. I absolutely love those two little pests and do not want to give either one of them up. But, how can we live happily ever after with a male kitten and an adult female? Can it happen? Will we get through this? Will I get through this? I can't keep looking to tequila for the answers, but I honestly don't know what to do. Am I doing the right thing by them?

No comments: