Sunday, April 24, 2011

PhotoPhun: Signs Of Spring

I think I have finally shoveled my last shovel full of snow for the season! Thursday after work, I cut the grass for the first time this year. Hang on people! Shortly I'll be complaining about having to mow! It's so hard being a woman since complaining is built into our DNA! You know how the saying goes: women don't fart and we don't burp. Therefore, we must bitch or we'll blow up! That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Anyway, this week's challenge is Signs of Spring! Thank goodness! This was a perfect challenge for this beautiful Easter morning! So, here are signs of spring in my neighborhood.

My lilac bush is greening up! Now I KNOW it's only a matter of time until I have lilacs on there!


Of course, with greening up, we have the weeds coming out in my flower beds. Uck.


From what the neighbors have told me, my whole side yard used to be a flower garden at one time. In the middle of the yard in the spring I get this patch where my Resurrection Lilies come up. Appropriate name for Easter time for sure! In the spring, all of the greenery comes up. Then, these leaves will die out and we'll mow them down. In the late summer, early fall, the flowers will come up. They are gorgeous. But since it's spring time, here are the leaves.


This is what we call our rock garden! Other than the Rose of Sharon trees, there are a lot of rocks in this patch. Well, usually some weeds too! But in the spring, this rock garden is full of life. On the far left, my wild garlic is starting to come in. In the top middle, we have more of the Resurrection Lilies and on the right, my Jonquils. Beautiful!


Lastly is my favorite. My Weeping Cherry tree. I had this planted a few years ago. The first spring that our tree bloomed, Ron had been sent to Amsterdam for work. While not a bad gig for him, I spent that week excitedly trying to explain to Ron how gorgeous this tree was in full bloom! Pictures don't do it justice and when he returned a week later, all of the blooms were gone already. It's a fast blooming tree but just so absolutely beautiful. One of my best landscaping decisions!


These are the signs of spring in my neighborhood. Make sure you check out Lisa and Mark's neighborhoods to see what's coming up!

4 comments:

Mark said...

Just beautiful! Love the cherry blossoms and looking forward to you lilacs! We'll have to do a Lilac challenge this summer!!

You reminded me, I saw my lilies had broke through for the first time this morning, so I can't wait for them to come up.

Lisa said...

What a nice yard you have, Ree! I may have to call you for a consult when I get going on our yard. Free peonies to a good home! If nobody takes 'em, they are headed to Settlers' Watch!

Unknown said...

I am one of the least artistic people you will ever meet! Actually, the yard was mostly put together. Any additions or improvements that I did I did with the help of my landscaper, Kevin Raymond of Raymond Landscaping. 440-371-4291 if you're interested! He does great work!

Unknown said...

Next week's challenged: Straight or the straight and narrow.