Sunday, July 11, 2010

Steak on a Stone

We went and had lunch today with Nick and Sally!

We went to a restaurant called Steak on a Stone and it's over on Lorain Road in North Olmsted. I gotta tell you, this place was definitely some place you should try!

First off, it was Sunday and we were there during the Sunday brunch. There was a buffet full of salad stuff, breakfast stuff and entree stuff. All well and good, but when you're some place called Steak on a Stone, you kinda gotta order the restaurant's name sake! Since the buffet was set out, they did not offer their entire menu during this time, but the steaks on a stone were an option.


Above, Ron looking so thrilled that I have a camera in my hand and below is Nick and Sally.


Nick and I tried the steak while Ron and Sally chose the buffet. For the steak, you first choose which cut of steak you want. I chose the 8 oz sirloin. You also get two side dishes and two dipping sauces. For sides I chose a side salad. This was not worthy of being called a salad. it was romaine lettuce on a plate. Nothing else. Yeah, not a salad.

That aside, my other side dish was the veggie of the day, broccoli. Thumbs up for the broccoli! For dipping sauces, I chose a house steak sauce, along the lines of an A-1 sauce and a mushroom cabernet sauce. While the sauces were good, they really hurt the meat. The meat was so awesome on its own, it did not need any help!

So, they take this stone and heat it to 750 degrees! Yes, 750 degrees! The stone is placed on a plate, which this white plate is safe to handle. It gets warm but not hot.

They place your steak on the stone and the server brings it out. That sears the meat and seals in all of the juices. Once the server brings it to your table, he flips the steak over to sear the other side. From there, you are NOT to move the steak on the stone. You slice off thin pieces, place them on the stone and cook them until your desired done-ness is reached. This takes some doing to figure out how many pieces to slice at once and how long to let them sit on your stone. A few pieces got too well done for me, but you quickly get the hang of it.


Above, the steak on the stone with some sea salt. I have a few pieces cut off, cooking on the stone. Below, Ron caught me right in the middle of really enjoying this steak!


I think I'd have licked the stone clean if it weren't for the fact that it was probably only down to 500 degrees now! I can't believe that they put these right on the table, but we walked away unscathed! And very full!


Like I said earlier, this is fantastic! In my opinion, the sauces really detracted from the taste of the meat, but hey, to each their own.


If you're in North Olmsted, or any where close by, stop in and have a meal. A little on the pricier side, but it was truly worth it!

Good friends, good food, what more can you ask!



No comments: