Sunday, July 11, 2010

No Sharp Objects

I love my sister! I really do!

Not only is she my friend, she is my sounding board, she is my cheering section, she is my confidant, she is my confessor, she is my partner in crime! 3,000 miles between us can't stop that!

The other day, I received a surprise package in the mail from my Sissy! Like any good woman, she was watching an infomercial on TV and just had to have it! It was a ceramic knife and ceramic peeler! There was a deal that you buy one, get one free! I do love free stuff. So, she grabbed her knife and peeler out of the box, closed the box back up and sent the second set to me!

I got this on Friday so Saturday, I had them all washed up and ready to go. I had a ton of cutting, chopping and peeling to do. Eating healthy is NOT easy. But, that's a story for another day.

I did well through most of my cutting, chopping and peeling. I can say that so far, all I've peeled is some broccoli stems and to be honest, I wasn't thrilled with the peeler. But then again, that's one of the hardest things to peel. So, maybe I should hold off judgment until I peel something more practical like a potato or a cucumber. For now, for broccoli stems, not so great.

The knife on the other hand is amazing! No knife I have ever owned has been this sharp! And, I believe I have owned some sharp knives in my day. This thing is amazing though, and about 10 inches long including the handle. Something that small to be so deadly.

A little back story here. The women in my family, my Mom, and the three of us sisters, have always been bad with sharp objects. Between the four of us, we should have owned stock in band-aids. Most dinners weren't complete without some blood shed. My Mom was the queen of this and she definitely passed it along to her daughters!! Walking and chewing gum? The same thing. We will be black and blue. It's a family thing.

What was Cathie thinking sending ME a sharp knife? For that matter, what was she thinking buying one for HERSELF???? Sister, I'm telling you, for your own safety, RUN! No, better yet, don't run. Just be SOO careful when using that knife!

I was almost done with all of my veggie duties yesterday. I was down to cleaning the celery. Suddenly, CRAP! I put the knife down, and calmly walked upstairs for a band-aid.

Ron: What's up?
Me: Nothing. I just cut myself with the knife. I need a band-aid.
Ron: Be careful!
Me: Too late.

Once my wound was properly dressed, I went downstairs, carefully cleaned my knife and went back to work. Five minutes later, knife down, I walked back upstairs.

Ron: What's up?
Me: Nothing. I just cut myself with the knife. I need a band-aid.
Ron: Um, I thought you already got a band-aid.
Me: Phht
Ron: I told you to be careful!
Me: PHHT!

Yeah. Back downstairs with my TWO dressings, cleaned the knife again and was EXTRA careful while I finished cleaning my damn celery! I knew healthy food wasn't good for you! But, I digress!

So, Sister, thank you for the knife! It is extremely sharp! Please be more careful than I was with it!! From now on, I say we stick to refrigerator magnets for surprise gifts in the mail!!

No comments: