Sunday, May 06, 2007

What's That Noise?

I'm sitting here in the living room watching TV. I keep hearing this noise. Sort of like a "crack". It's not a rhythmic cracking, and it happens so quickly I'm having trouble zoning in on where it's coming from.

Finally I gave up. I called Ron over to listen with me and figure out what is that noise. He said not to worry, it's just the sound of the fish. How can fish make that much noise?

Well, there is a thermometer in the tank. It's stuck to the front of the tank by a suction cup. Because of the suction cup, the actual thermometer sits back from the glass probably 1/8 to 1/4 of a inch.

One of our gold gouramis attacks the thermometer. He swims towards the thermometer then turns quickly and his tail flicks the thermometer which taps it into the glass of the tank. He plays this game for awhile, goes away and them comes back to it to do it again.

So, now I'm worried about my one gourami! Is he hurting himself doing this? Is this how he plays? Is this normal behavior? Does he need therapy for self injuring? Does Dr. Phil make fish calls??!!

No comments: